·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
bring a pistol to a Connecticut range?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Not unless you have a CT non-resident permit.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
Wouldn't that also depend on if CT was an open carry state? I know I could go to a few other states as long as I open carry because the only "permit" they require you to apply for is a purchase permit, so if I am not purchasing and it is an open carry state I could still carry my pistol there. And there are of course states that accept other CCW permits from other states. I do not know CTs laws.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
You need a permit for CT in order to bring a gun into CT.

from your location I'm guessing you wanted to go to shooters or wooster mountain?

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Wouldn't that also depend on if CT was an open carry state? I know I could go to a few other states as long as I open carry because the only "permit" they require you to apply for is a purchase permit, so if I am not purchasing and it is an open carry state I could still carry my pistol there. And there are of course states that accept other CCW permits from other states. I do not know CTs laws.
your confusing your terms. Open carry means not concealed. Constitutional carry means you don't' need a permit. Problem with states that require permits is they have to have reciprocity with NY which most don't because NY doesn't honor other states permits.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
You need a permit for CT in order to bring a gun into CT.

from your location I'm guessing you wanted to go to shooters or wooster mountain?
As an aside... the old F&F in Norwalk is reopening. Hiller Sports bought the property and they are open for business but the ranges are under construction. I stopped in today and put my name on the mailing list, they expect the short range to be open in a few weeks and then the longer one in the summer sometime.

·
Registered
753 Posts
bring a pistol to a Connecticut range?
from Wikipedia... (they don't cite any specific reference to CT laws)

Connecticut does not honor CCW permits from any other state, but residents of other states who hold a concealed weapons permit may apply to the Department of Public Safety for a non-resident Connecticut permit through the mail. Nonresident CCW permits are generally granted on a "shall-issue" basis, provided the applicant meets Connecticut's statutory requirements and completes a weapons safety course that satisfies the state's training requirement.

The CT laws that I looked at speak mainly to "carrying" and not to "possession". So it was not clear to me whether you can transport it unloaded & locked in the trunk to a CT range. Since their laws are a lot like NY laws, your best bet is to request a temporary permit... they have two types of permit, a 60-day temporary permit from local authorities, or a 5-year permit from the state.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
from Wikipedia... (they don't cite any specific reference to CT laws)

Connecticut does not honor CCW permits from any other state, but residents of other states who hold a concealed weapons permit may apply to the Department of Public Safety for a non-resident Connecticut permit through the mail. Nonresident CCW permits are generally granted on a "shall-issue" basis, provided the applicant meets Connecticut's statutory requirements and completes a weapons safety course that satisfies the state's training requirement.

The CT laws that I looked at speak mainly to "carrying" and not to "possession". So it was not clear to me whether you can transport it unloaded & locked in the trunk to a CT range. Since their laws are a lot like NY laws, your best bet is to request a temporary permit... they have two types of permit, a 60-day temporary permit from local authorities, or a 5-year permit from the state.
Per CT c.529 s.29-28(f) Non-residents need to apply to the state. They can no longer get a temp local permit.

From the DPS website:
Out of state residents may apply for a non resident Connecticut State Pistol Permit. Non residents apply directly to the Connecticut State Police, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit. Call 860-685-8494 to have an application mailed out.
CT c.529 s.29-35 is what prohibits carry/possession w/o a permit except for a limit set of circumstances for non-residents.

or to any person transporting a pistol or revolver in or through the state for the purpose of taking part in competitions, taking part in formal pistol or revolver training, repairing such pistol or revolver or attending any meeting or exhibition of an organized collectors' group if such person is a bona fide resident of the United States and is permitted to possess and carry a pistol or revolver in the state or subdivision of the United States in which such person resides

1 - 11 of 11 Posts