New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
2,452 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going from verbal straight to deadly force... no spray? No taser? No baton? The guy is unarmed, naked, sounds like he was either on drugs and/or mentally ill. Sure - he was advancing towards the cop and challenging him to a fist-fight. But having to shoot him? Really?

Campus officer kills naked freshman at South Alabama - CNN.com

If any of us shot an unarmed naked person under the same scenario - we'd be up on Murder 2nd charges.

· Registered
948 Posts
Going from verbal straight to deadly force... no spray? No taser? No baton? The guy is unarmed, naked, sounds like he was either on drugs and/or mentally ill. Sure - he was advancing towards the cop and challenging him to a fist-fight. But having to shoot him? Really?

Campus officer kills naked freshman at South Alabama - CNN.com

If any of us shot an unarmed naked person under the same scenario - we'd be up on Murder 2nd charges.
The cops can get away with worse than that. Review: Birk didn't have cause believe Williams a threat | Seattle 911 - A Police and Crime Blog - seattlepi.com BTW: Williams was shot in the back, and died...cost the City of Seattle $1.3M and a monument in one of their parks to Williams, but Birk was never charged.

· Registered
6,329 Posts
The officer might not have had a taser to use. Spray and a baton maybe but I noticed the article said "muscle bound male" which would lead me to believe there was a disparity of force possibly with the "suspect" being significantly bigger than the officer. Could have been a female cop for all we know.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
No calling for backup? The officer may have feared for his/her life for some reason. As we all know IF you have a firearm, and get overpowered, your problem just became life threatening. Most officers don't back down many times like this one did. If he/she felt the need to back off, they were obviously NOT capable of taking control of the situation or they would have. Non-lethal force SHOULD have been tried first for sure. Especialy against a naked guy that clearly was NOT armed. I am a big proponent of every officer going to taser,baton, or spray before ever thinking about lethal force, but I would like to hear more about exactly what happened before drawing my own opinion. Most people, officers included never WANT to kill another human being. Either this was an over reaction because of fear, or the kid kept going for the officers gun. Only two scenarios I could see with the info we have been given by the article.

· Registered
948 Posts
No calling for backup? The officer may have feared for his/her life for some reason. As we all know IF you have a firearm, and get overpowered, your problem just became life threatening. Most officers don't back down many times like this one did. If he/she felt the need to back off, they were obviously NOT capable of taking control of the situation or they would have. Non-lethal force SHOULD have been tried first for sure. Especialy against a naked guy that clearly was NOT armed. I am a big proponent of every officer going to taser,baton, or spray before ever thinking about lethal force, but I would like to hear more about exactly what happened before drawing my own opinion. Most people, officers included never WANT to kill another human being. Either this was an over reaction because of fear, or the kid kept going for the officers gun. Only two scenarios I could see with the info we have been given by the article.
I agree, it is very difficult to assertain the "what" from the news release....however there is one item that kind of sticks out...This happened in fromt of the campus police station? I don't think backup would be very far away...No?

· Registered
3,865 Posts
This is one I don't feel all that bad about. He advanced on the officer multiple times. Drugs or alcohol probably were a factor, but I am positive that no one forced it on the guy. Everything he did was his choice. One more idiot gone. It's the people sitting in their cars or their homes who get rushed and murdered that I feel for.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Wasn't the guy on bath salts (Miami) who ate half a homeless man's face off also naked? Not that I'm certain that this is another bath salts incident, but it could have been. Knowing that information, still can't let your guard down just because clothes are completely lacking.

· Banned
105 Posts
Part of me can understand the idea of dealdy force when someone is charging you, but most cops have a taser and pepper spray. I was not there, but I would think deadly force could have been avoided. Reality though is you charge a cop and this will probalby happen.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
Drugs or alcohol probably were a factor, but I am positive that no one forced it on the guy. Everything he did was his choice.
Never heard about college kids slipping drugs to people? I'm not saying this is the case but it has happened.

· Registered
3,865 Posts
Never heard about college kids slipping drugs to people? I'm not saying this is the case but it has happened.
It's always slipped to you in your drink, right? Rule 1 for college, never ever ever let your drink out of your hand. That's been known for 20 + years.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
It's always slipped to you in your drink, right? Rule 1 for college, never ever ever let your drink out of your hand. That's been known for 20 + years.
Not always, but it does happen. You said this "He advanced on the officer multiple times. Drugs or alcohol probably were a factor, but I am positive that no one forced it on the guy."

So you know he advanced the guy (police say so, must be true) and are positive that no one forced it on the guy. Were you with him? The only thing we know for sure is a naked college student was killed.

That being said you are most likely correct that it was drugs and he he took them knowingly. Usally the drugs in a drink thing have the opposite effect on people (date rape drugs). The reason I brought up drugs being given unknowingly is because it happened to someone I know when I was in college. I saw what it can do to someone. It was scary.

· Registered
983 Posts
Wasn't the guy on bath salts (Miami) who ate half a homeless man's face off also naked? Not that I'm certain that this is another bath salts incident, but it could have been. Knowing that information, still can't let your guard down just because clothes are completely lacking.
I believe toxicology later showed that the face eating guy was not on bath salts.

· Registered
6,329 Posts
I agree, it is very difficult to assertain the "what" from the news release....however there is one item that kind of sticks out...This happened in fromt of the campus police station? I don't think backup would be very far away...No?
This occurred at like 130 in the morning. That officer night have been the only one on duty.

I believe toxicology later showed that the face eating guy was not on bath salts.
Yeah I think you're right. In fact I think I remember it showed no drugs of the caliber that would make you act like he did. I think he was just crazy.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
This occurred at like 130 in the morning. That officer night have been the only one on duty.

Yeah I think you're right. In fact I think I remember it showed no drugs of the caliber that would make you act like he did. I think he was just crazy.
I don't think they can really test for the synthetic stuff (bath salts) that well. He very well might have been on some sort of synthetic drug. We will never know I guess.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.