New York Firearms Forum banner

Camping Pie Iron advise.....

540 views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  JeremyV 
#1 ·
I'm going camping this weekend and was hoping for some recipes. I usually just do grill cheese and pizza pockets. On the NYF campout some folks did desserts. What did you folks use for the crust, any jams or jellies work best?
I've also done Rubens and they are awesome.
So what are your pie iron gems????

#4 · (Edited)
fresh, soft plain white bread Spray the preheated pie irons with Pam. butter the white bread just like making a grilled cheese. place butter side down on the pie iron halves. place a couple tablespoons of your favorite flavored pie filling on the bread. Toast until golden brown. Caution----filling is hotter than hell

#6 ·
Do you have Monk's bread in your area? It's a great size for pie irons - fits in without having to trim - and it holds up better than a lot of other brands that get soggy or tear.
One of my favorites is putting egg, cheese and bacon bits in between heavily buttered bread in the round pie iron.

#7 ·
Monks bread huh? Don't know what it is but I'll look for it.

As for molten lava, yeah I was aware of that one. Never had a fruit pie but have seen some do the "Oh my got I just ate fire" dance.
When I was a kid I used the spread peanut butter on a piece of bread then spread Fluff on top, put it in the toaster till the Fluff is caramelized. Under that Fluff would be molten PB. Yikes!

#8 ·
Chunks of cream cheese with raspberry pie filling.

Ham and cheese with mayo or miracle whip or a sweet mustard.

Turkey and swiss with any of the above.

tomato and bacon with american cheese.

Really any hot sandwitch combo is great.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.