New York Firearms Forum banner

Camping in Adirondacks or near thousand islands on shooting-friendly land?

975 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Pauly D. 
#1 ·
Hi all - I was hoping someone might have some recommendations on a place that I can head with some friends this summer for both camping (woods, maybe near a lake) and target shooting. I don't want to break any laws but would like some gun-friendly land advice. Thanks in advance.
- Jeff

(FUAC)

#2 ·
In the Adirondacks, on forest preserve, you can shoot, as long as you're 500 feet from a dwelling. I have frequently gone shooting in the past, just observe safety rules, like making sure of your backstop, don't shoot across roads, etc.. I typically avoid areas where there are a lot of hikers, and away from heavily used trails.

#3 ·
You also can't use breakable targets or deface trees, plants, shrubs..etc. so don't post your target where you'll damage any foliage. Please see DEC code 190.8. Some areas are prohibited from target shooting too (I've not seen one yet though) so check the signage at the trailhead to be sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.