New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of spending some money on a plate carrier and some other soft goods, and am not sure what camo pattern I want to go with. What patterns do you guys prefer? I'm mostly wondering about Multicam vs. ATACS FG. Anyone with any experience please chime in.

Heres some other camos...
-Olive Drab
-Coyote
-Woodland
-ACU
-Multicam
-MARPAT
-Tigerstripe
-ATACS
-ATACS FG
-Realtree Hardwood
-Mossy Oak Breakup

·
Registered
354 Posts
seeing as nobody else wants to comment i will. let me start by saying i am no expert but this is based on my limited experience or tests i have read about/seen.

you say you are in the market for a plate carrie and other soft goods: what would the intended use of these be? duty/patrol? SHTF? training/range practice?

if they will be for training or practice only then get whatever you can cheap (with exception of the plate carrier and plates), if you plan on using the gear in situations where your life could depend on it buy good stuff and really think of where you will primarily be using the gear.

i will help you scratch one off that is useless and that is the acu, i would also be weary of multicam (yea it's cool but it seems to be more intended for use in desert type environments not NY)
what i try to stick with are neutral camo base colors (green, brown, black, tan). for example coyote brown could be obscured with brush from the environment and work in forest type environments here in ny but in the fall when all the green is gone it isn't useless and can still work to a degree.

So before i type a bunch of useless info what are you getting the gear for? work or play? also what companies have you looked at for the gear? (different companies usually have slightly different colors but use the same names across the board)

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
im a multicam fan, but atacs foliage is almost like a digitial multicam. you cant go wrong with either one really.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
seeing as nobody else wants to comment i will. let me start by saying i am no expert but this is based on my limited experience or tests i have read about/seen.

you say you are in the market for a plate carrie and other soft goods: what would the intended use of these be? duty/patrol? SHTF? training/range practice?

if they will be for training or practice only then get whatever you can cheap (with exception of the plate carrier and plates), if you plan on using the gear in situations where your life could depend on it buy good stuff and really think of where you will primarily be using the gear.

i will help you scratch one off that is useless and that is the acu, i would also be weary of multicam (yea it's cool but it seems to be more intended for use in desert type environments not NY)
what i try to stick with are neutral camo base colors (green, brown, black, tan). for example coyote brown could be obscured with brush from the environment and work in forest type environments here in ny but in the fall when all the green is gone it isn't useless and can still work to a degree.

So before i type a bunch of useless info what are you getting the gear for? work or play? also what companies have you looked at for the gear? (different companies usually have slightly different colors but use the same names across the board)
Thanks for the reply.

I plan to use the gear to train with, as well as use in the unlikely event that "SHTF" occurs. So while it will mostly be used for training (to possibly include some rough scenerios like carbine classes or run and guns) I still want to be able to trust it with my life. That being said, I don't really need help selecting the gear. I've spent my time in plate carriers and using tactical gear. I know what works for me.

I already know what vest I'm going to be getting. I more just wanted to open a conversation about what general purpose camp people perfer.

I'm really suprised to see you say I should avoid multicam. In my mind multicam and ATACS FG were the two biggest contenders. Having seen multicam in some environments in upstate NY I thought it didn't pull its weight to bad. It was more brown than green but didn't look especially suited for desert climates.

Yeah, I know ACU is useless. I've been in the military for awhile. The only thing ACU blends with is ACU. And apparently grandmas couch... although if you have some worn out FRACUs they turn a yellowish color that almost blends in with fall leaves.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
I use woodland and tigers tripe as they work very well after being washed in UV blocker . Anything else that is made like woodland breakup or mossy oak breakup , they work very well also but the same idea is in order . You gotta wash them in UV blocker or you look " blue " to an animal so that's my preferences on camo . Ps seeing as you are military , they still offer some " good deals " on sales inthe commissary on all of this stuff compared to online shopping .

·
Registered
4,575 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Here in the Northeast, multicam is going to be your best all-rounder. If you want to get specific, tiger stripe or MARPAT would be good for summertime, MARPAT or coyote for autumn, and then multicam specifically for spring.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I like marpat and tiger stripe. But you gotta pick what fits in best with the terrain ur gonna be operating in.

·
Registered
984 Posts
I may get flamed for this but even though I have patterns I do not put a lot of faith into them. I wear black BDU's and and cover over them with lightweight netting dressed up with local foilage, then I particular attention to my surroundings and break up my pattern accordingly.

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
For SHTF, I have given this a lot of thought and have come up with some conclusions that make sense and will work for me.

For me, coyote brown is the best bet for a few reasons.

-most animals are brown or tan. You don't see green deer. Deer even blend into greenery.

-for SHTF, you do not want to look like a soldier. Your job is much like recon. You evade and stay hidden if you want to survive. Contact will get you killed.

With brown pants, you can put on a regular colored t shirt and not look like a dweeb survivalist if you go into populated areas. Once back in the woods, you can change your top back to brown. Your goal is to to be able to look normal with your pants and backpack when you leave the woods. If you have coyote brown pants along with your coyote brown backpack, a grey, red, or blue obama t-shirt, and a Yankees baseball cap, nobody is going to bat an eye to you when out and about. If you have a multicam backpack, they will know you are prepared.

-In NY, there is only one season that is totally green. Summer. The other 3 seasons, the colors are brown. However, the ground in the woods is always brown in all seasons. If you are hiding, you will be on the ground and not standing up. If you are on the ground in the woods, your coyote brown pants, shirt, and backpack will blend into the dead foliage on the ground.

I prefer coyote brown to the tan shown on the above videos. It is just slightly darker and blends in better in green areas in my opinion. In the summer time, you can put on a green t-shirt and a green hat along with your coyote brown gear and pants.

Military camouflage Cargo pants Camouflage Plant Sleeve

1 - 10 of 10 Posts