New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Decided to get my (very supportive) wife a new camera. The I phone just not cutting it for her. Mostly nature and event photos, she has no professional asperations. Looking fir something that can accept lens changes that won't break the bank (I'm saving for a rifle also). She still has some old SLR stuff, but camera died. Any ideas?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Depending what lenses you have they can be used with the modern DSL. The focal length maybe slightly off unless you go for a camera with a full size CMOS. TheCanons are great cameras and so are the Nikons. If the lenses she has are Minolta they should work on a Sony since Sony bought Minolta and discontinued Minolta but uses there tech. Depending on the mount of the lense will dictate the brand.

If you have time and are doing this for a holiday present go the Photo Show at Javits, it is usually in October, November and you can see all the manufactures and speak with them.

Nikon or Samsung has a new small compact DSLR that takes interchangeable lenses. ALS add Panisonic to the list.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
I am no expert but asked some people including a forum member here and I got very good information.
For a nice entry level DSLR I just got my daughter a nice bundle and then added some extra batteries, flash cards, etc...
Something similar to this with the 18-55 and the 55-250 lenses. Great value on these bundles for a new cannon...

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-Digital-18-55mm-55-250mm-Cleaning/dp/B004PBQDU6/ref=pd_sxp_grid_pt_1_2

Amazon.com : Canon EOS Rebel T3i 18MP DSLR Camera & EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Type II Lens Kit + Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM + Top Brand 64GB SDHC Memory Card + Accessory Kit : Camera & Photo

You can also look into the Nikon D5100. I went with the cannon due to popularity, parts and specially the menu
controls that are so much easier. But one wouldn't be wrong with any of these.

I mean, unless you want to invest $3K on a nice full frame bundle.

Here some of the video reviews I checked about these too...

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
I'm a Nikon fanboy but my BIL just picked up a Canon (Rebel, I think) for his wife and she loves it. I don't think it was "too" much but definitely more than a decent point and click. I just picked up a new Canon Point and click for my wife and she loves that one. No interchangeable lenses though but all she needs to do (supposedly) is hold the camera to her phone and the pictures transfer automatically. I agree to find out if you can use some of the lenses you already own though as these can be more than the price of the camera body itself so you might as well get some more milage out of what you already own. You also may be able to use lens in manual mode even if the auto focus doesn't work. Something to consider. I bought a Nikon several years ago with a 3/4 sensor and wish I went full frame (but full frame sensors were ridiculously expensive at the time). Good luck and let us know what you decide!

·
Registered
901 Posts
My wife upgraded to a Nikon 5300.
She is taking photography classes and it is more camera than she currently needs.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
I shoot a Nikon, but Canons are awesome too. Go to the store and figure out which one fits in your hand better. One will feel better in your hand, just like some people prefer M&P over Glock. It's all about what fits you (and your wife).

I'd go with an entry level DSLR. If you ever feel like you need to upgrade then you can do so later. I would love to upgrade, but I know that it's not my camera that is holding me back, it's me (and my lenses).

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Rebel t3 for my daughter..400 free shipping no tax..all kinds of stuff included.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All good suggestions, just the kind of input I'm looking for. Javits would require a visit to NYC, and while it's not far, I would rather put delicate body parts in a vise! Thanks everyone:)

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I like DSLR cameras. Nikon and Canon are the main stays.. I have always had Canon myself. I feel that for the same money as a Nikon, you get a few more features and the same quality. Nikon, you pay a little more for the name. Rebel is a good entry level that will last for years and leave you with some money to buy a good lens. As for lenses, canon makes amazing lenses but you pay for them. I have a Tamron all purpose zoom I use for day to day shots. It is a good lens at a good price to learn on until you figure out specifically what you want concentrate on subject wise. Lens Line: All-in-one-Zooms; Tamron USA, Inc. I am more into nature photography but due to kids found myself shooting a lot of soccer games and dance recitals , I am saving for a canon lens at this point that has a tight zoom and an F2.8 f-stop.

I have a few photos taken with a Canon 7D and a Tamron lens posted here: http://nyfirearms.com/forums/off-topic/27305-photography-thread-anyone.html

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
When I was looking it was down to either the d3200 or the T3i.

The problem is this was probably 2 or 3 years ago and cameras are just as bad, if not worse than computers when it comes to being almost instantly outdated.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I'd look on a photographers forum like Fred Miranda's (search) and instead of getting the big box mass merchandised special (i.e. cheap, slow, plastic) get a 4-5 year old depreciated semi-pro model with better (faster aperture) lenses. While specifications may be less, you get better build quality and more responsive, dedicated controls (instead of scrolling menus). For example you can find a used low-milage Nikon D300 or D7000 metal "prosumer" camera for $300 to $500 and put a faster, better 16-85 DX on for $300 and have a camera capable of professional results and quality circa 2009. It will be much more responsive than the current Nikon D3300 that they sell for about the same price.

True you give up some resolution and numbers on a spec sheet and you have to settle for what was professional quality five years ago back when they made primitive pictures with charcoal on the cave walls - but you get a quality tool that will last a lot longer. In firearms terms do you want a new Remington 783 or used 700?

If money is a concern then buy a used Nikon D3100 for $250 and it will take great snapshots all day long. Canon and Sony make similar price point cameras, I use Nikon because they tend to have simpler interfaces for me (maybe not for you) and I think their build quality is still a notch higher.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not really, it's been years since it saw the light of day. I will take everyone's suggestions when shopping time comes. Thanks to all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts