New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I've been interested in going to the Calverton Range with a few of my buddies, but i kind of would like to know how their facility is are they friendly there? Any info would be great thanks!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
used to shoot there in college in early 90's. If I recall it was a free for all. we used to pick up old TV from the side of the road to shoot at. From what I have heard it has changed and all cleaned up but still a good place to go. Pay your money and no one bothers you

·
Registered
49 Posts
I was recently there. bare bones shooting range but what more do you need? Stay safe and they leave you alone. Actually, when I was there, the RO left and told me to stay safe. I was shooting by myself for an hour. It was pretty great. I dont think that happens regularly

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've been to Calverton a few times, I always tend to end up there on a weekend when it's really busy. Last time I was there I watched them throw a guy out for bump firing... called a ceasefire and started screaming at the guy to GTFO. They're pretty strict and I was told by the shooter next to me that it's because they've come under some heat\pressure lately. I don't have any further details on that front, I didn't inquire further about it. They have a little ammo and target store (shack) on property that has relatively fair prices.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info all!!! I guess I'll see what happens when i go there hopefully its on a nice day and everyone is relaxed.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I go to Calverton all the time, pay your $15 bucks act like a responsible shooter, follow applicable safety rules, and no one really bothers you. and NO you can not shoot at TV's or refridgerators any more. paper targets only....They usually shoot for about 1/2 an hour give like a 5-10 min break for people to change their targets, and back to the line. Just get there early or you won't be shooting for a while as spots tend to fill up quickly, even on weekdays lately. HOME for address, times/hours of ops. and such.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Firemanpete do you remember the Old Gent George who ran the range way back when? It was very lax back then, shoot at anything you wanted to just cleanup after yourself.

One day a guy brought out a canon that fired cement filled beer/soda cans on the 200yd range, he used wooden doors for targets, you could see the can flying downrange towards the target; sometimes he'd connect too.

Some good times out there......Carl

1 - 11 of 11 Posts