New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I finished doing a bunch of research and comparison on some accessories I wanted to buy for one of my rifles and I was excited about finally pulling the trigger and making the purchase. I decided to go with Cabela's because they had the best price that I could find (and were actually in stock). I've also dealt with them before and everything went smoothly. From what I can remember there was no tax on my last purchase from them. This time there was tax and it brought the total up substantially. Am I mistaken about there not being tax before or is there now tax because of the store now in NY?

The item(s) total came out to be $528.99 before shipping and $548.94 after standard shipping. This was cool because they are having a promo for free shipping bringing it back down to $528.99. That's when I saw it. $44.60 in tax. So the $528.99 order went up to $593.54 or $571.97 after the promo. Now the $44.60 won't break my bank or even the $64.55 if there was no promo but it's just the principle. I feel like I'm getting screwed.

Now here's where it gets really F'd up. Just for the hell of it I looked on cheaperthandirt to see what the same exact items would cost. Turns out that even with their higher shipping rates it was still less expensive than getting the stuff from cabelas with the promo code in play at $554.47. And that's not including if there is some kind of promo code. I didn't even bother looking since I wouldn't order from cheaper just out of sheer principal. So I guess I have to make a decision since the cabela promo code ends tomorrow and local pick up at the NY store would negate any savings anyway. Just a heads up.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
As soon as there is a physical location in you state, you get charged tax.

Nothing to do with Cabelas.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As soon as there is a physical location in you state, you get charged tax.

Nothing to do with Cabelas.
I knew that. It's just that it was a surprise for me. Did anyone else know this already?

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Except it's not because you would have to ship to an FFL and I don't know of one that won't charge at least $20 for a BRC on the transfer.

Also: I have never not been charged tax on a gun in a store. :)

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
You owe the tax whether it was charged or not. There's a Use Tax form that you are supposed to submit for all out of state purchases.

·
Registered
8,391 Posts
Amazon charges tax, Im not sure if they have any stores or whatever in NY

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Amazon charges tax, Im not sure if they have any stores or whatever in NY
They have a small distribution warehouse or office or something here. That is how NY got their finger in that pie.

·
Registered
853 Posts
You owe the tax whether it was charged or not. There's a Use Tax form that you are supposed to submit for all out of state purchases.
There's a line on your NYS income tax form to report your internet, out of state, and other purchases that are subject to NYS use tax. I, as I'm sure everyone else here does, keep a record of these purchases so as to include these amounts when I file my NYS taxes.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
There's a line on your NYS income tax form to report your internet, out of state, and other purchases that are subject to NYS use tax. I, as I'm sure everyone else here does, keep a record of these purchases so as to include these amounts when I file my NYS taxes.
How many people actually *DO* it is subject to debate, but the point was that when you buy something out of state you are still *SUPPOSED* to pay sales tax on it at the local rate. I see entirely too many people talk about buying via mail order to avoid tax (in effect admitting that they are tax cheats).

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I hadn't bought anything from them since they started including NY tax hence why it surprised me. I did a little shopping around and found a deal anyhow with one of the items actually being of better quality. Because of a bundle there was a considerable discount. Ended up costing $518 out the door.

·
Registered
94 Posts
This is why Amazon collects NY sales tax.

Amazon Rejected by U.S. High Court on New York Sales Tax - Bloomberg

In-State Affiliates

Under the New York law, retailers without a physical presence in the state must collect tax if they use a local resident to solicit business online. Amazon is subject to the law because it gets business through New York-based affiliates, paying them commissions for hosting online links to the retailer.
The New York Court of Appeals, the state's highest court, said affiliation agreements had the effect of creating an "in-state sales force."
Amazon fell $1.32 to $392.30 at 4:30 p.m. in Nasdaq trading in New York.
Overstock said in its appeal that the New York court ruling "functionally abrogates the physical-presence requirement."
Overstock suspended its own affiliates program in New York when the law was enacted, sparing the Salt Lake City-based discount Internet retailer from having to collect taxes. Overstock was seeking to re-establish that program so it could generate more business in New York and potentially other states.

FUAC

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
I'm sure everyone is really good and always fills this little thing out and pays taxes on everything they buy. lol

·
Registered
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm sure everyone is really good and always fills this little thing out and pays taxes on everything they buy. lol
I've had many sleepless nights wondering if I forgot to input the proper amount for "use tax".

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I've had many sleepless nights wondering if I forgot to input the proper amount for "use tax".
Yeah, I really fret over whether or not Uncle Sam is taking enough of my money.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts