New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really wanting to get a French MAS 49-56. This is a C&R rifle with an evil muzzle break. Is it still banned even if it is C&R eligible? Is there a special clause exempting C&Rs? Is it legal, but would need to be registered?

·
Registered
810 Posts
C&r ( what the state mis names antiques in the legislation by the way) are still if they meet criteria required to be registered ( for example an m- 1 carbine with bayonet lug) but can be bought sold traded and registered at any time and magazines associated with them that hold over ten rounds also can be possessed bought sold traded and registered at any time also providing the magazine is over fifty years old as well. The load only to a max capacity of ten still applies to the old mags however.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
C&r ( what the state mis names antiques in the legislation by the way) are still if they meet criteria required to be registered ( for example an m- 1 carbine with bayonet lug) but can be bought sold traded and registered at any time and magazines associated with them that hold over ten rounds also can be possessed bought sold traded and registered at any time also providing the magazine is over fifty years old as well. The load only to a max capacity of ten still applies to the old mags however.
Please state your authority for the 10 round rulr. Nothing like that exists in the PL as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
If you read the law it explains it pretty well. ATF C&R status has nothing to do with the safe act.

If your assault weapon is 50 years old or older it can be transferred. If you live long enough you can transfer your AR to your kid.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
IMO, it's good to go. SKS's come with bayo's as well.
Fixed mag though not as evil as a detachable mag that's super evil. If you fix the mag your good

·
Registered
810 Posts
Reading the whole bloody law will reveal the over fifty year old exemption for the over ten round mags. The mags would have to be registered. I thought I recall the French rifle the original post refers to has a detatchable mag not fixed like an Sks. If the French mas has a fixed mag then all correlation related to the safe act is moot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes this rifle has a detatchable magazine and a bayonet lug similar to an M1 Carbine. If this is true, then early Colt SP1 AR15s are going to become legal again, along with their mags. 50 years + is the new pre ban...

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
I got my C&R in the mail last week. Reading through the approved list really made me smile! I am saving up for a BAR!!! Woot Woot!

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I'd love to shoot a bar I've shot a Thompson m1 garand 1903 Springfield but not a bar. Thughes get on that lol

·
Registered
255 Posts
As an owner of the french mas be careful.

Depending on when yours is made it is not C&R so be sure to check the serial on it.

The other issue is a lot of them had .308 conversions on them including mine. Along with the .308 conversion is the year done on the conversion. According to my friend who has a c&r dealer license that would be considered now made in that year in his opinion so if yours was converted it may change the measured year in terms of the law.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I got my C&R in the mail last week. Reading through the approved list really made me smile! I am saving up for a BAR!!! Woot Woot!
Only thing is the only BAR you are going to get in NYS is a semi-auto repro. you cant use the vintage C&R mags in it as that is a no go since hte gun is not a C&R . Same thing would apply if you had a repro of an M1 carbine, you could only use\posses 10 round mags for it.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
The first ARs where sold to the public in the 60s ... Based on the C&R status find some original lowers buy, sell, trade, modify at will.

If you read the law it explains it pretty well. ATF C&R status has nothing to do with the safe act.

If your assault weapon is 50 years old or older it can be transferred. If you live long enough you can transfer your AR to your kid.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I see what your saying, but what does a date stamp have too do with it. Its a replacement part. i could take a date stamp and date any rifle i want with any date, The serial defines a rifle as you said. Im not the most familiar with the C&R. Is there a stipulation the rifle has to be 100% Original, if that's the case any rebarrel, or any other part that has been replaced for that matter would void it as a C&R.

As an owner of the french mas be careful.

Depending on when yours is made it is not C&R so be sure to check the serial on it.

The other issue is a lot of them had .308 conversions on them including mine. Along with the .308 conversion is the year done on the conversion. According to my friend who has a c&r dealer license that would be considered now made in that year in his opinion so if yours was converted it may change the measured year in terms of the law.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Only thing is the only BAR you are going to get in NYS is a semi-auto repro. you cant use the vintage C&R mags in it as that is a no go since hte gun is not a C&R . Same thing would apply if you had a repro of an M1 carbine, you could only use\posses 10 round mags for it.
Disagree. Nothing in the law limits use of a c&r mag to a c&r gun. The law limits possession not use. I have registered M1 carbine mags and no registered carbine.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts