New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple one here. Is their an exception on the background checks for c&r rifles in NY? I know obviously you cant on all modern rifles but was unsure if the exception existed for the old stuff.

I am debating to try saving an old mauser but due to the number of parts needed and questionable functionality I am questioning how much I am willing to invest as local ffl transfer fees are not very cheap.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
If you hold a C&R license you don't need the background check for a transfer of a C&R gun.

If you do not hold a license you will need the background check for your Mauser

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
This^

Regardless of what NYS says, a C&R is an FFL and FFL's are not required to "BG check themselves" when receiving a firearm. FUAC.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I don't C&R transfer within NY State, as the new "law" is ambiguous. If I transfer within NY, it's got to go to an FFL. When I sell my stuff on Gunbroker, I am specific about that. the other 49 states, well, hells yeah.

Is that what you meant?

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I don't C&R transfer within NY State, as the new "law" is ambiguous. If I transfer within NY, it's got to go to an FFL. When I sell my stuff on Gunbroker, I am specific about that. the other 49 states, well, hells yeah.

Is that what you meant?
I don't agree with this. C&R is federal law. We do it all the time.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts

Is that what you meant?
Yes, it's got to go to an FFL.

03 FFL holders are...FFL holders.

Where is the confusion?

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
This^

It's sad that you've chosen to screw fellow NY'ers that hold an 03 FFL. Are you voting for Andy next month too?

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Jesus dudes, WTF?

My personal opinion is that the "safe" act is ambiguous enough as regards in-state transfers, from C&R to C&R, that I personally choose not to do so. Didn't say I would to sell to them, just that it's got to go to an FFL-01.

Some of you guys really oughta make sure you stay on those meds. That's some industrial strength stupid to take my position, and then assert I'm voting for The Embalmed One (tm). But then again, this IS the internet.......(roll eyes).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well, it's your firearm. You may transfer it to who you wish. Being scared of a law is a cop out. A type three federal license is a federal license.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
cop out my ass. I have a professional license at stake for my livelihood. only an idiot proceeds without caution here in NY these days!!

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
i don't think Vergel is right but his position is solid and grounded in reality. Attacking him for it is stupid.
At least attempt to make an argument showing why he's wrong.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
So, if all transfers in NY to an FFL03 require a BG check to avoid running afoul of the law, shouldn't transfers to an FFL01 require the same? A transfer is a transfer, right? So, from now on when I go down to the LGS and trade in a gun towards a new purchase, I will expect the shop owner to fill out a 4473 and run a BG on himself before allowing him to take possession of my trade in. After all, that FFL means nothing because NY unsafe says all transfers require BG check, right?

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
To restate what thughes said...

Where in the law does it say a FFL01 doesn't need a BGC performed on himself to take possession of a firearm?
Why doesn't the same reason apply to a FFL03?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts