New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I was wondering if anyone knew if Rockland county would allow a C&R holder to legally have a handgun shipped to him if he filed an amendment for said pistol before having it shipped? In other words, you would buy the C&R pistol, send them your C&R, send the county all the info, get a new license in the mail, and THEN have it shipped? I know this is OK in Nassau county. One just simply fills out the bill of sale as acquired to oneself. http://**********.net/forum/archive/index.php/t-1377.html

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2nd Amendment and Right to Bear Arms - Political Science - Arts/Humanities There are a few sources verifying it is okay to do this, it just depends on the county, and the pistol ABSOULTLEY of course, has to be registered on your license before you receive it. It just would save some driving/ a transfer fee this way it seems. So I'm asking if anyone has had expereince with this in rockland county.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Well let us know how you make out. I've never heard of that being allowed anywhere in NY and I have had my C&R FFL for 9years now. Any of the companies I have purchased C&R guns from will not ship a C&R pistol to NY without using a FFL dealer.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
spydermonkey, you would have to check with your individual county before attempting this. Also, it is not well known so many of the big vendors won't do it. it may work on something like gunbroker though. Anyway I doubt rockland allows it, but I'll check with the clerk.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you read the link I posted, the attorney clearly states there is a procedure in place for it in nassau already. People have posted on various sites confirming that it exists in Nassau and other counties. What people typically get hung up on with "C&R" and "Handgun" and "NYS" is that you cannot have an unregistered handgun in the state at all. Which is why you cannot order one and have it shipped directly thereafter. If it is registered before it comes into the state, and it is legal for you to receive the out of state shipment, (in this case a C&R,) there shouldn't be any issues. It's all up to the clerk's offices. Even NYSP gets all their info from the county level and compiles it

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I went ahead and emailed the clerk of Rockland County. I will post what they say in response. I suggest that others who are C&R holders and pistol license holders do the same for their counties. Make sure you very clearly include these four steps in the email:

1. Purchase a Curious and Relics handgun from an out-of-state dealer

2. File an amendment with the XYZ County clerk's office before having the handgun shipped, including all pertinent information. (In other words, the handgun would not enter New York State at all without having first been registered on my NYS pistol license). I would list myself as the buyer, and seller of the handgun on the amendment form, and provide the clerk's office with a copy of my Federal Firearm's license, and a bill of sale.

3. Receive the updated license, confirming that the handgun has been registered to myself.

4. Have the out-of-state seller then ship the gun to me, which would now be legally registered to me. Also being a Federal Firearms license holder, I would be able to receive the out-of-state shipment of the curious and relic hand gun in compliance with federal law.

Again, you must have the handgun listed on your license well before the gun enters NYS at all, otherwise, yes. it will be TOTALLY ILLEGAL and you will be in possession of an unregistered handgun. Its just a matter of if your county will let you list the gun on your license as just C&R holder. My guess is most counties won't. But it doesn't hurt to ask. It will also probably be very difficult to find any one who will be willing to hold the handgun for you while the paperwork is processed, let alone ship to NY. Anyways, good luck.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
C&R handguns have the GREEN LIGHT in Rockland county. If you used the four steps I outlined in my post, you can have a handgun shipped to your door as a pistol license holder and a C&R holder. Remember this is completely legal in NYS, it just varies by county who will let you do that.

Here's the quote from the clerk's office: "Yes you can get guns from an out of state dealer. You listed all the steps correctly.

Please feel free to call if you have anymore questions.

Have a nice day."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts