New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didnt know if this was best suited in Pistols or here. Anyrate, Iam about to maybe start looking for a pistol that my dad used in the army in the Vietnam conflict. I presume I cannot buy pistols at a gunshow, Am I right? and heres why...

I have a pistol permit in Ontario County so Unless the County Clerk of Ontario is at the funshow im outta luck right? In the sense that I cannot walk out with it. Im sure I can still work it out where he ships to FFL here when home after the show but didnt know if there was a way to buy.

I know anyone can do the NICS check for long guns but....How do I get a green stamp if MY County is not there right? Just looking for either a confirmation or the way it may be done. Ive wondered since I started going to shows recently.

Thank you all for the knowledge that ive learned on this site. from asking and Just plain reading!

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
You are correct (since Ontario County stopped giving out advance pickup coupons). You would have to purchase the pistol, obtain a bill of sale, go to your county clerk to have it added to your permit, and then either return to the dealer or have them ship to your ffl.

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
I also have a permit issued in Ontario County. Unless they're at the gun show, there is no way for you to get your permit amended and pick up the pistol at the show. You'll have to get a bill of sale, go to Canandaigua to get the permit amended, and then take possession of the handgun at a later time.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok...YEAH..just as I thought. So I will have to talk to dealer about that if I say find one or keep that all in mind. What I thought. Not an issue buying new but is when looking for something used at times. Or if one happens to Spark my eye. Plus my wife looking for a small deringer type.

Thanks Guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts