New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,089 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this is in the right spot or not, so sorry if it is. I'm 100% confident I will be getting my permit as there is nothing on my record (not even a speeding ticket) that'd prevent me from doing so. I've seen people buy guns and just wait for the permit to come in.

So my question is..is there a fee to hold them or anything?

Anyone who has done this, or is currently doing this, I would appreciate how you go about doing this. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Some gun stores I went to wanted a fee.. I just went somewhere else!
In Wayne county you have to have a pistol to add to your permit to apply. Not sure how it works where you are but I'm sure if you search there's a few threads based on your county,

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
It's illegal to touch a pistol in NYS without a permit, even in the store. Yet, some counties, like mine, require you to put a down payment on one before you get it. Some stores understand this and "bend" the rules, and some will tell you to GTFO without a permit.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I own 2 guns and I still don't have my permit.
I put them both on my uncles permit though so once I get my permit they're going on mine.

But the gun shop I bought my 1911 from had no problem holding my 1911 until I got my permit but I just wanted to be able to shoot it once my uncle got his HR218 done.

And actually once you're 21 it's illegal.

·
Registered
460 Posts
i currently have a deposit on a handgun and still waiting on my permit. this is required in orange county during the permit process. the shop where i have mine does not charge any extra fees. i simply walked in, found the gun i wanted and put it on layaway and a deposit. just go to your local store and talk to them about their layaway policy and make sure they know that you wont be able to pick it up until the permit comes in. technically by law you cant posses a handgun without your permit but if the shop understands the laws properly they will know the difference between possessing a handgun and simply handling one without intent of use (my local store allowed me to handle to firearm since i was going through the process already and understand its hard to buy without handling). good luck

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
What I will do as a dealer is require a deposit for said handgun. As far as other shops and what they will or won't do as far as handling a handgun without a permit, it is whatever they choose. Personally I think it's crazy that you cannot hold a gun that you probably are going to spend some decent money on to see if it feels right to you. But that's the state at its finest. Depending on how much the handgun is would determine on how much of a deposit you would need. I suggest if possible to co-own your first handgun with another family member if they have a permit for your initial handgun for your permit, that way you are not out any money if you don't get your permit.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts