New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here in chenango county the way i understand this works is when i get my permit and i find a gun i have to buy said gun take the make model and serial number to the clerks office then wait till i get a coupon in the mail to go get my gun, now the question is what if im on vacation and find one like 200 miles away? how about buying one from a private party?

·
Registered
536 Posts
Vacation in state or out of state? If out of state, any handgun must be shipped to an FFL in NYS. There's no way to buy one out of state and drive it back without committing a felony. You might find an FFL in NYS that accepts shipments from a private individual. If so, they may let the seller ship it directly to them, rather than going FFL to FFL. However, many FFLs do not interpret the ATF law as allowing individual to FFL transfers, and will require the out of state seller to get an FFL as well, doubling the fees for the transaction.

If in state, you're going to have to make 2 trips. The exact details vary county to county. In my county, I'd have to go buy the gun and get a notorized bill of sale with all the important info on it. Then I take the the bill of sale to my permit office, they put it on the permit and give me a coupon to give the seller. I then drive back to pick up the gun (you can't take it until it's on your permit), give the seller the coupon, and you get the gun. The best way to get the exact details for how to do a private sale in your county is to call your permit office. Usually, they're friendly and happy to help you with the requirements.

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
I would imagine you need a bill of sale from an FFL in order to get a coupon from the clerk, same holds true for a private sale, some require the BOS to be notarized, doesn't hurt to put sellers permit # and date of issue. Call your clerk , they will tell you exactly what you need to do. Usually 200 miles will mean 2 trips unless you buy sight unseen, then they can mail you a receipt, and you better check that serial number good when you see it for the first time!

·
Registered
156 Posts
The process really varies from county to county. In NYC, for example, you need to get a preapproved purchase authorization for a specific caliber. Then you go buy the pistol. In a private sale, you have to submit all the details (permit nos., serial, etc) and get a log number. Then, in either case, you have to bring the weapon is to be physically inspected and put on your license. I don't think any other counties require an inspection.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I am also in Chenango county. You have the procedure right when buying from a dealer. Lately my coupons have been coming to my house within a week. Most dealers will give you a form that has all the info you will need for the clerks office. They are pretty relaxed so just a price of paper with gun info and dealer name and address is fine. When buying out of state from dealer or private it will need to be shipped to a ny dealer. In this case follow procedure above. If it is 200 miles away but still in ny you will need to ship to another dealer or make two trips. Buying instate from an individual is easy. Just bring a piece of paper to the clerks office with gun info, sellers name, address and permit number. Make sure you have all of the sellers info. Wait for your coupon to come in the mail, give it to the seller and take home your new gun.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok thanks all im just passing time getting questions answered while i wait for my permit, the waiting is driving me NUTS!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
only about 1.5 months i talked to sherrif cutting the other day he said they are just waiting on one thing from the state and they will be done with it, then on to the judge and who kmows how long he will take ...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts