New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just received the letter in the mail today that my permit has been approved and issued and i have a permit # too. Id prefer to go shopping around tomorrow so would anyone know if i would be able to purchase a pistol without the actually permit in hand or will my permit number and letter be enough? I figured i could register the gun at the office when i go pick up my permit on monday (since i will have to be going there anyways after a purchase).

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
They should allow you to make the purchase without the permit in hand, but you'll need the permit and coupon to take the pistol home from the store. Probably best to get on the phone and call the dealer to make sure they're ok with that.

Also, did you call the pistol pistol permit office (which is right near you in Lockport) and arrange a time to meet with the investigator? I am fairly sure they require appointments for those picking up permits. Your first amendment is free of charge. Just make sure you bring the bill of sale in with you.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nope, the letter doesnt say anything about making an appointment, just that my permit has been issued and i can pick it up during their normal business hours.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
depends on the gun store. some wont let you handle one without it some might.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It says "Your Pistol Permit has been approved & issued. Your Pistol Permit number is #####. You will need to come into the Pistol Permit Office to pick up your permit. Our office is open Monday to Friday 9am to 4:30pm."

Then says stuff about if your gun is stolen and notifying the office of any changes within 10 days.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
@derek - my approval letter said the same thing and also contained my permit number. However, you may be disappointed if you just walk in and expect to pick up your permit. Call Patti at the permit office and make sure the investigator is there and that he has time to meet with you. The Niagara Co. pistol permit office should make that clear on the approval letter, but unfortunately they don't.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Chris, i will make sure i do that before i try to stop out there. They should put that somewhere on the letter to lessen any confusion.

·
Registered
548 Posts
In erie county they wouldn't give me my permit without buying first. For the first purchase, the letter is as good as a permit. They give you receipt/coupon , you go to town hall and "add it" (to your blank permit). They hand you newly printed permit, you go back to store and pickup gun. For additions/amendments same gig. You buy, get receipt. Take receipt to clerk, get it added. Updated permit and coupon gets you gun.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why would he have to meet with the investigator to pick up his permit? He had to be interviewed before the permit was approved, not after. When I got my letter I went in the next day and the lady in the office printed my permit and i was out the door in about 10 minutes.

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can purchase with the letter and they will put it on for free. When I went and picked up mine I got a new picture and was out in ten minutes, that was it no meeting the investigator or anything.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Niagara County does not require that you buy a pistol when you receive your permit, you have as much time as you want.

As for meeting with the investigator, that is standard procedure in Niagara. It's not an interview. The investigator runs through the FAQ and basically asks if you have any questions. He also reiterates Niagara's rules for carrying in bars (not allowed administratively in Niagara) and provides some suggestions on what to do if you're pulled over for a traffic stop while carrying, nothing ground breaking. I know about a dozen guys (friends and coworkers) who received their permits in Niagara (within the past 4-5 years) and all of them had a brief meeting with the investigator when they picked up their permits.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
@GoSabrez - I submitted my application early January. Took about 3 months.

Just an update - I was able to buy my pistol with just the approval letter and then went to the pistol permit office and picked up my permit and had the pistol added at that time. I did not have to meet with the investigator, all i had to do was show up and tell Patti i was there to pick up my permit. Was really easy.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Interesting. The Niagara pistol permit office may have made adjustments recently, probably due to time or resource constraints. It was actually beneficial to meet with the investigator to go over the FAQ and have a chance to ask any questions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Patti basically went over a few of those FAQ's you mentioned. She also went over a few other things about when buying or selling pistols out of state etc..

·
Registered
16 Posts
@GoSabrez - I submitted my application early January. Took about 3 months.

Just an update - I was able to buy my pistol with just the approval letter and then went to the pistol permit office and picked up my permit and had the pistol added at that time. I did not have to meet with the investigator, all i had to do was show up and tell Patti i was there to pick up my permit. Was really easy.
i submitted my app in early january too......im still waiting, lucky you

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Congrats on your permit. Mine is on the way to the judge and I'm impatient.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dennis - Was close to a month after the sheriff made his visit. He called one of my lockport references and did a phone interview with them about 2 weeks after his visit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts