New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to purchase a firearm in the 5 borough's of NYC? Having a NYS pistol permit (full carry) I once heard someone say you can purchase a firearm in the 5 boro's and once its on your permit you can go down and transport it back to Westchester as long as you have the purchase receipt showing you just picked it up? Not sure how true it is?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Yes..you are supposed to be able to buy a handgun in NYC with a NY permit according to NYC administration code. Get it added to your permit and pick it up at the NYC store. Obviously the handgun must be transported out of the city locked up and unloaded right after you pick it up.

I doubt any NYC gun store will want to deal with a different county's paperwork or procedures though...they really only want to deal with the NYPDs license division.

Guns in NYC are terribly over priced though. Why buy at one unless it is a super historic or rare gun?

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
OP avoid NYC at all cost. Do it for your own sake.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I lived in Westchester NY and bought a Berettta double Shotgun in a Manhatten store...... all I needed was background and drivers license. ...took it home on the train....

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I lived in Westchester NY and bought a Berettta double Shotgun in a Manhatten store...... all I needed was background and drivers license. ...took it home on the train....
Handguns are a different animal...but still legal to buy in NYC with any NY permit.

Did you buy one of those $400,000 Beretta shotguns from the Beretta Gallery?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Like everything in the city you will pay more so why bother.
S&W has a public safety program and the dealer in Queens has the firearm I want at a very nice price. Tried a few dealers up here but either they don't participate in the program or they didn't have one in stock. I'm a volunteer firefighter.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
If the price is right why not ... its totally legal to buy a pistol from anywhere in the country, as long as a NY FFL checks it in to his log so its know to be in the state legally, runs your background and you add it to your permit. After that your good to go.

S&W has a public safety program and the dealer in Queens has the firearm I want at a very nice price. Tried a few dealers up here but either they don't participate in the program or they didn't have one in stock. I'm a volunteer firefighter.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Where in queens is a dealer still? When i was a kid i used to go to chaple sports on atlantic ave but he has retired, there is atlantic sports in astoria or the woodhaven gun range they are both still there. If you go to the dealer in woodhaven you will need to be armed just to get there.....

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where in queens is a dealer still? When i was a kid i used to go to chaple sports on atlantic ave but he has retired, there is atlantic sports in astoria or the woodhaven gun range they are both still there. If you go to the dealer in woodhaven you will need to be armed just to get there.....
Atlantic Tactical Queens,NY

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
I believe you can get a purchase document from your jurisdiction and buy it at the dealer and transport it out of the City in a locked box. Perfectly legal, and most dealers should not give you any problem. It is the same paperwork to PLS, just a purchase document from another County. Remember, they can always call to verify the PD, so it should not be any problem at all.

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Just as an aside, when I retired I left one gun at the command (for technical reasons to do with the good guy letter). I went back the next day with my Nassau permit and a locking briefcase, and took the gun with me. The minute I walked out the door I loaded it anyway, HR 218 and all that, but I did not have my City permit yet.

So yes, even a Law Enforcement agency can release a gun to you on a NYS permit as long as it is legal for you to own on your permit with proper paperwork and you take it out of the city locked up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts