New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

· Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If your watching the debate Obama just said he wants to reintroduce an assault weapons ban. He also said he wants to get automatic weapons out of criminals hands....really? When have you seen an article in the news where someone used a class 3 full auto weapon. If Obama is reelected...watch out. Get your wish list NOW!

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
A legally owned assault weapon has NEVER been used in a crime in the US as far as I know.

· Registered
2,028 Posts
I definitely feel another assault weapon ban coming, soon too.

It happened once before, it will most likely happen again. It's only a matter of time.

If it does happen again, I doubt it will "expire" like it did before. Even though our state, NY, decided to essentially keep it.

· Registered
1,275 Posts
Wow.. would another NATIONAL assault weapons ban make buying a mag complicated. I can see it now "4 Pre ban Mag for sale....the pre-pre ban kind, also 5 pre ban mags for sale" Ugh!

· Registered
2,028 Posts
I was 14 when NY did the ban...Will this one have a different tone? Will we be legislated to turn in what we already own?
Well, if you think about it....banning guns that are already out there in the hundreds of thousands really doesn't do anything....except make prices rise and hurts the law abiding citizen.

Whats the point of even signing an assault weapons ban if those weapons are already out there?

If they do try to take them away too, either the people given the orders will not comply or if they do, the people will revolt.....leading to complete chaos.

Banning certain guns is one thing, but taking them away is a completely different story.

I don't see them taking guns away from civilians in the future....because, like I said, it would create too many problems.

· Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Here is the transcript:

QUESTION: President Obama, during the Democratic National Convention in 2008, you stated you wanted to keep AK-47s out of the hands of criminals. What has your administration done or planned to do to limit the availability of assault weapons?

OBAMA: We're a nation that believes in the Second Amendment, and I believe in the Second Amendment. We've got a long tradition of hunting and sportsmen and people who want to make sure they can protect themselves.
But there have been too many instances during the course of my presidency, where I've had to comfort families who have lost somebody. Most recently out in Aurora. You know, just a couple of weeks ago, actually, probably about a month, I saw a mother, who I had met at the bedside of her son, who had been shot in that theater.
And her son had been shot through the head. And we spent some time, and we said a prayer and, remarkably, about two months later, this young man and his mom showed up, and he looked unbelievable, good as new.
But there were a lot of families who didn't have that good fortune and whose sons or daughters or husbands didn't survive.
So my belief is that, (A), we have to enforce the laws we've already got, make sure that we're keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, those who are mentally ill. We've done a much better job in terms of background checks, but we've got more to do when it comes to enforcement.
But I also share your belief that weapons that were designed for soldiers in war theaters don't belong on our streets. And so what I'm trying to do is to get a broader conversation about how do we reduce the violence generally. Part of it is seeing if we can get an assault weapons ban reintroduced. But part of it is also looking at other sources of the violence. Because frankly, in my home town of Chicago, there's an awful lot of violence and they're not using AK-47s. They're using cheap hand guns.
And so what can we do to intervene, to make sure that young people have opportunity; that our schools are working; that if there's violence on the streets, that working with faith groups and law enforcement, we can catch it before it gets out of control.
And so what I want is a -- is a comprehensive strategy. Part of it is seeing if we can get automatic weapons that kill folks in amazing numbers out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill. But part of it is also going deeper and seeing if we can get into these communities and making sure we catch violent impulses before they occur.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
A legally owned assault weapon has NEVER been used in a crime in the US as far as I know.
"Since 1934, there appear to have been at least two homicides committed with legally owned automatic weapons. One was a murder committed by a law enforcement officer (as opposed to a civilian). "

Not sure what the weapons were though!

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Well, if you think about it....banning guns that are already out there in the hundreds of thousands really doesn't do anything....except make prices rise and hurts the law abiding citizen.

Whats the point of even signing an assault weapons ban if those weapons are already out there?

If they do try to take them away too, either the people given the orders will not comply or if they do, the people will revolt.....leading to complete chaos.

Banning certain guns is one thing, but taking them away is a completely different story.

I don't see them taking guns away from civilians in the future....because, like I said, it would create too many problems.
Yeah bro, hook me up with a double pre-ban. xD

But the sad bit is, if the do it, I see it taking the California route. No pre-bans. Cali lets you have pre-bans if you had them before the ban though. I think NYC has NO pre bans, i.e. turn them in.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
"Since 1934, there appear to have been at least two homicides committed with legally owned automatic weapons. One was a murder committed by a law enforcement officer (as opposed to a civilian). "

Not sure what the weapons were though!
Ah, I stand corrected. 2 deaths in 78 years? Yeah, they have to go. That's almost a higher rate than people that have been killed by the Loch Ness Monster!

· Head of Bacon Operations
3,679 Posts
Here's what I heard
"blah blah blah too many instances during the course of my presidency blah blah blah"

so I ask myself, what is causing people to go bananas during your presidency that wasn't happening at other times. Could it be that collapse of our healthcare system? That the average working family is now bankrupt? All I hear is it is his presidency that is the cause.

· Registered
2,327 Posts

But the sad bit is, if the do it, I see it taking the California route. No pre-bans. Cali lets you have pre-bans if you had them before the ban though. I think NYC has NO pre bans, i.e. turn them in.
Turn in what? Mine sunk in the boat accident we all had last month when Bill had to much moonshine and capsized the boat:D..

· Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Romneys rebuttal:

MS. CROWLEY: Governor Romney, the question is about assault weapons, AK-47s.

MR. ROMNEY: Yeah, I -- I’m not in favor of new pieces of legislation on -- on guns and -- and taking guns away or -- or making certain guns illegal. We of course don’t want to have automatic weapons, and that’s already illegal in this country to have automatic weapons.
What I believe is we have to do as the president mentioned towards the end of his remarks there, which is to make enormous efforts to enforce the gun laws that we have and to change the culture of violence we have. And you ask, how are we going to do that? And there are a number of things.
He mentioned good schools. I totally agree. We were able to drive our schools to be number one in the nation in my state, and I believe if we do a better job in education, we’ll -- we’ll give people the -- the hope and opportunity they deserve, and perhaps less violence from that.
But let me mention another thing, and that is parents. We need moms and dads helping raise kids. Wherever possible, the -- the benefit of having two parents in the home -- and that’s not always possible. A lot of great single moms, single dads. But gosh, to tell our kids that before they have babies, they ought to think about getting married to someone -- that’s a great idea because if there’s a two-parent family, the prospect of living in poverty goes down dramatically. The opportunities that the child will -- will be able to achieve increase dramatically.
So we can make changes in the way our culture works to help bring people away from violence and give them opportunity and bring them in the American system.
The -- the greatest failure we’ve had with regards to gun violence, in some respects, is what is known as Fast and Furious, which was a program under this administration -- and how it worked exactly, I think we don’t know precisely -- but where thousands of automatic and -- and AK-47-type weapons were -- were given to people that ultimately gave them to -- to drug lords. They used those weapons against -- against their own citizens and killed Americans with them.
And this was a -- this was a program of the government. For what purpose it was put in place, I can’t imagine. But it’s one of the great tragedies related to violence in our society which has occurred during this administration which I think the American people would like to understand fully. It’s been investigated to a degree, but the administration has -- has carried out executive privilege to prevent all the information from coming out. I’d like to understand who it was that did this, what the idea was behind it, why it led to the violence -- thousands of guns going to Mexican drug lords.

· Registered
2,028 Posts

I remember reading an article not too long ago where NY was trying to push to eliminate Pre-ban Magazines. The person who owned them could own them, but had to show proof of purchase via receipt (who keeps something that long), the magazines would be NON-TRANSFERABLE, and the magazines could not even be handed down generation to generation! WTF!

Needless to say.... if Obama wins....which he probably will..... gun and ammunition sales will soar, and so will the prices.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.