New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
RUT RO!!!!

I came across some Butler Creek Steel Lips that are supposed to be "Pre Ban." They are new and unopened. Packaging looks like it has been sitting around for quite a bit. I checked online and the only thing I can find is that Butler Creek Changed to a bigger font on the mags after the ban.

The seller has since removed the posting from AR15.com.

Before I get suckered into something, is there anyway to tell if Butler Creeks are Pre Ban or not?

Thanks.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Another guy had some used ones for the 10/22 which were steel lips and smoked plastic and he told me they were pre-ban. He also had a 30rd for the Remington 597 which he also said was pre-ban but I do not think the 597 is that old. There was no date markings on them but I played it safe and decided not to buy any of them. Man it would be nice to have a 30 round for my Ruger and my Remington.

James

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks James....

Still researching......Butler Creek does not even have these listed on their website. I really wish I could verify...A little more on what I have found thus far...

I also read that the font is different and that they were made during the ban for export and are marked as such. Furthermore.....the Pre Ban font is smaller then the Post. Here is a picture of a post.....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v473/Dan71/DSC04404.jpg
Ruger factory 25 compared to Butler Creek "Pic's review" [Archive] - Glock Talk

UGGHH...Does anyone have any info?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Steve-O ... I just compared the pic you posted to one of my pre ban mags and it appears that not only are the letters smaller on the pre ban, the "Butler Creek" is on the OPPOSITE side as the one you show in the pic as being post ban. Another thing I noticed was the pic of the mountains on the clip is NOT inside a square AND the horse is bucking the rider NOT standing in front off the mountains. These are the things I noticed right off hand.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Same here. Damn...they make it difficult. Thanks for your opinion. Smaller letter and no box around mountains...check..... Looks like they are good then. :cool:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
butlercreek.com has no contact info listed. Ruger has been making 10-22'ssince 1964. I have a 1992 model. I will keep researching the mags and see what I can find.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Butler Creek is now owned by Bushnell. Bushnell never replied to my e mails. ____ Bushnell!!

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Ramline does have preban models with red followers, item MAT 1150. These were manufactured before the ATK takeover of Ramline in the early 90s. These are the only true prebans I know of besides the Mitchells. Scarce and expensive, but well worth it. Someone can correct if I am wrong, but this is my best knowledge of any preban 10/22 mags known to exist and be proven. POS eagle mags as well?

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
What I wanna know is when is someone like the NRA or other activist we pay hard earned money to to protect our rights gonna step in and help make us at least somewhat equal to the other 45ish states? There is no reason why we cannot have atleast the same mags as everyone else can have. **** NYC but free the rest of us!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have both Buttler Creek Hot Lip (RED plastic followers) and Steel Lips Pre-Ban Magazines.
I bouight them a couple of months before the Ban and still have the Recipt for them.
I'm away from them at the time being and I will post back when I get back.
J.Solo

1 - 16 of 16 Posts