New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been emailing every business i frequent that is not a "sensitive" location encouraging them to put up signs allowing concealed carry. I thought it would be useful to maybe start posting businesses that do here.

As an aside I've only gotten allot of runaround and non answers so far. I don't think it's fair businesses are being put in this position but it is what it is.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Don't expect any of the major business to put up pro gun signs. They would get too much push back from anti customers. The number of permit holders is small in comparison to those who oppose guns. In my area gun magazines (paper type) have disappeared from the market racks due to customer complaints.

The perceived liability will be brought up if a carrier goes nuts or kills an innocent in an incident. The opt in was very and nastly clever. Clarence was outfoxed as his locale statements were countered with a property rights attack. Now, pro gun folks think it won't fly in court. That remains to be seen.

The need for a sign and a felony penalty destroyed useful carry. In other states, a violation was a misdemeanor and only happened if you were asked to leave and didn't.

The NYSPRA claims a glorious victory. That remains to be seen. Now it is a devastating tactical defeat. If it turns out to be a strategic victory in 5 years - was it worth it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Don't expect any of the major business to put up pro gun signs. They would get too much push back from anti customers. The number of permit holders is small in comparison to those who oppose guns. In my area gun magazines (paper type) have disappeared from the market racks due to customer complaints.

The perceived liability will be brought up if a carrier goes nuts or kills an innocent in an incident. The opt in was very and nastly clever. Clarence was outfoxed as his locale statements were countered with a property rights attack. Now, pro gun folks think it won't fly in court. That remains to be seen.

The need for a sign and a felony penalty destroyed useful carry. In other states, a violation was a misdemeanor and only happened if you were asked to leave and didn't.

The NYSPRA claims a glorious victory. That remains to be seen. Now it is a devastating tactical defeat. If it turns out to be a strategic victory in 5 years - was it worth it?
I agree with everything you said. I wasn't expecting a favorable response from any larger chains but still hoping for one from some small mom and pops. At the very least, i want to make it clear to stores what i want as a customer so they at least hear the complaint.

I expect the CCIA to be shot down eventually but in the meantime any stores that will put up a sign will get all my business.

I live in orange county which to my knowledge has the largest number of permits in the state (still a small number per Capita I admit). So hopefully maybe some store owner out there is willing to put up a sign.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I agree with everything you said. I wasn't expecting a favorable response from any larger chains but still hoping for one from some small mom and pops. At the very least, i want to make it clear to stores what i want as a customer so they at least hear the complaint.

I really don't think that in today's litigious culture and with the pressure our governor would undoubtably place on insurance companies that any business will be able to afford a liability policy if they invite firearms onto their premises.

·
Registered
157 Posts
"We prefer our customers to voluntarily refrain from bringing firearms ...." doesn't sound like an outright refusal. Saying it's their preference, rather than saying "we don't allow guns", sound like you can do it if you realllllllly want to.

·
Registered
116 Posts
"We prefer our customers to voluntarily refrain from bringing firearms ...." doesn't sound like an outright refusal. Saying it's their preference, rather than saying "we don't allow guns", sound like you can do it if you realllllllly want to.
No, it subtler than that. They say they respect the local law and that calls for signage. If there is no signage, it's a de facto ban despite this statement. Now, if you carried their statement and said you got it from the store management, it might serve as a defense but after the ride in nice police car.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
The Queen kunt and hero LOEs don't want you be able to defended yourself. [ note before you go off look at what they hire to be LEOs .]. Have A few business owners here in suffolk county that said the same thing [ or close to it] Put up the pro gun sign is like putting a target on my back and my families back.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Under the law, if a customer has a wardrobe malfunction and a customer calls 911. The store has no say, because the Guns Welcome sign is not posted.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Under the law, if a customer has a wardrobe malfunction and a customer calls 911. The store has no say, because the Guns Welcome sign is not posted.
Truthfully there doesn't have to be a sign. They can just give you permission verbally but saying that they prefer customers not brint firearms doesn't sound like being granted permission to me.

Not to mention in the absence of a sign i would want the permission to be in writing.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Truthfully there doesn't have to be a sign. They can just give you permission verbally but saying that they prefer customers not brint firearms doesn't sound like being granted permission to me.

Not to mention in the absence of a sign i would want the permission to be in writing.
Even when on private land, you want a letter from the owner granting permission. It was part of conducting business in law enforcement. You need written permission. Especially when hunting.
The new law under CCIA exclusively requires signs now.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So far my emails to major businesses, asking about signs have been unanswered. A Cabelas put yellow tape around the ammo section for a few hours and then took it down.

Would love to know how the governor came up with that 22% figure. Lol

·
Registered
116 Posts
There are many studies in the criminological literature that calculate such things. Are they valid? I cannot say. One could search the scholarly literature for that value. Google scholar might work. Usually, it is look at crime reports after the adoption of a new policy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree as well, every single thing else that's prohibited is written that way, how can any court allow this blatant circumventing of the 2nd amendment. I would love to see this witch defent the stats on gun violence in communist NY and California with free states that have Constitutional carry. It wouldnt take much research to see that law abiding citizens aren't the ones robbing 7/11's

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think conceal carry is done in NYS for all practical purposes. When this is overturned, and there is a chance that it will be, businesses will be more aware of the entire situation and - mark my words - you will see "no firearms permitted" signs showing up at stores all over the place.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts