Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide which optic to buy for my AR:

Burris TAC30
Burris MTAC
Burris XTR
Viper Vortex PST

Also, is the FastFire combo worth it on the TAC30 & MTAC?

Anyone have any experience with these? Just trying to get some other opinions before I buy oneness. Thanks!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Depending on your budget and how fast you want a new optic, check out the SWFA 1-6x. The only problem is its not available yet, but the release is "supposed" to be before the end of summer.

·
Super Moderator
1,205 Posts
I think I would go w/the Vortex PST, I like the reticle better, and Vortex
makes a feature packed scope for the price. Next would be the XTR.

IMHO, if you have a 1X scope there is no need for an additional red dot,
kinda defeats the purpose of getting a 1X scope. But opinions vary.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
I'm assuming these are all in the 1-4x zoom range?

I'm a Vortex fanboy, so that's my recommendation. I feel a 1x red dot or similar would be pointless since you're at a low variable zoom level with the scope. Just get the PST w/ one of those switch throw levers. I got one for my 4-16x and I love it since it doesn't require as much work to switch zoom levels due to increased leverage.

·
Registered
203 Posts
They are all good, so it's a matter of preference. Keep in mind that with such small front element the long end of the zoom range is going to be a compromise. Don't expect ACOG quality at 4x.

I don't like batteries, so would rather look at Nikon m223 or Trijicon Accupoint 1-4x.

There is no need for extra red dot, 1-4x scopes work at 1x just as well.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
All of these scopes have an etched reticle. They are not red dots, though they do illuminate.

Vortex is a tick clearer the the reticle sucks for what he wants to use it for each of the Burris reticles is much faster and easier to use quickly.

You know where I stand on this bud. Lol

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I bought the MTAC combo package from Brownells. It came with the MTAC, PEPR mount & the Fastfire. Can't wait to get some range time with it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
I have the tac30 I like it. One thing I don't like is when you adjust the power, the entire eye piece turn. Not a huge deal but if you have a flip up lens cover make sure it is positioned where you can adjust the power without having it hit the rifle. I got the fast fire also but never put it on. Because of the 1x I don't need it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
. correct me if im wrong but i believe the mtac and the tac30 are essentially the same except instead of button for illum. u got to turn knob. i bought the mtac .very nice optic

·
Registered
560 Posts
Nice :) - Just a FYI, with the fast fire on there, that would put you in open class for three gun. Not sure what your building but I'm sure Bpipe will lead you in the right direction

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice :) - Just a FYI, with the fast fire on there, that would put you in open class for three gun. Not sure what your building but I'm sure Bpipe will lead you in the right direction
I'm putting it on my Mega Build. After I tried to shoot the 200 yards targets at the Brooks 3-gun, I realized I needed an optic & NOT a red dot.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
. correct me if im wrong but i believe the mtac and the tac30 are essentially the same except instead of button for illum. u got to turn knob. i bought the mtac .very nice optic
Vargg, according to the Brownells description, the MTAC also has the HiLume coating which is supposed to have a clearer/sharper image. I didn't see the HiLume mentioned for the TAC30. If I am wrong, someone please let me know.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hands down, the Vortex. I own a Viper PST 6-24x50 for my M1A and it's fantastic. Nice, clear, crisp glass, great elevation knobs, wonderful reticle, front focal plane...the list goes on. I picked mine up for $950 and it was worth every penny. There's not a finer scope for the money.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts