New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just out of curiosity, for the police we have here, if someone calls 911 about a burglary, I assume the officer that responds is going to look around the house. How far is that officer going to go looking?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Somewhere between as far as he wants to and as far as you let him.

Otherwise, that question is impossible to answer (other than idle speculation) no matter whose police you're talking about because it depends on many variables.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
ive experienced everything from driving by to full home search and a dog search of field

depends on what if anything was taken

as far as where can an officer legally go while responding to a break in / burglary i think if the resident calls you have at this time invited them into your home and they are going to look everywhere and often on a large spread will bring in dogs or other officers to search

had been broken into once in fla and police checked my drawers and cabinets, safe, and closets
i asked why it was needed they said we had to make sure that the burglar did not leave anything.... ultimately found it was my next door neighbor after police fingerprinted the whole house and drop graphite everywhere

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had thousands of dollars of tools stolen from my shop. The police did absolutely nothing except fill out a report (that I had to pay for) to give to the insurance company. They pretty much told me that unless they accidentally stumble across tools with my serial numbers there is no hope for recovery. No recovery was ever made and the insurance company was nice enough to pay me about $ .20 on the dollar

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
I had thousands of dollars of tools stolen from my shop. The police did absolutely nothing except fill out a report (that I had to pay for) to give to the insurance company. They pretty much told me that unless they accidentally stumble across tools with my serial numbers there is no hope for recovery. No recovery was ever made and the insurance company was nice enough to pay me about $ .20 on the dollar
Did you have an itemized lists of all your tools? Did you write down the serial numbers? If not, what can the police do? They do not know what to look for.

James

·
Registered
764 Posts
Did you have an itemized lists of all your tools? Did you write down the serial numbers? If not, what can the police do? They do not know what to look for.

James
Itemized list?-yes
Serial numbers?-yes
all tools engraved?-yes
Photos off all tools?-yes

Did they fingerprint the broken door or my prybar the dirtbags used? -no
Did they ask the neighbors if they had seen anything out of the ordinary? -no

The officer and "detective" only asked me if when the last time I was there, if knew who may have taken them, then asked if I was insured. They were there less than 10 mins. I spent more time at the station getting copies of the reports! Lost almost $6K that day...

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so we called the police, they came over and tried to get fingerprints, but no luck. We had found the stolen items on Craigslist, and they set up a sting and caught the guy with the stolen PS3. However, he had already formatted the hard drive and scratched off the serial number, so they couldn't prove that it was the same PS3 as the one that was stolen, and they also found the same model of TV as we had, too. But I guess they don't have any proof it was the ones he stole, or that he's the one that stole them, or that they're stolen in the first place, so they're letting him go and keep all the stuff.

Talk about failing miserably!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
That sucks,but what can the cops do ya know ?? Unfortunately in this day and age,letting them go with your(suspected)items is cheaper than a lawsuit for a wrongful arrest if that's what it turned out to be.....Sad but true.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Ok, so we called the police, they came over and tried to get fingerprints, but no luck. We had found the stolen items on Craigslist, and they set up a sting and caught the guy with the stolen PS3. However, he had already formatted the hard drive and scratched off the serial number, so they couldn't prove that it was the same PS3 as the one that was stolen, and they also found the same model of TV as we had, too. But I guess they don't have any proof it was the ones he stole, or that he's the one that stole them, or that they're stolen in the first place, so they're letting him go and keep all the stuff.

Talk about failing miserably!
That really sucks. I do have a suggestion, but it doesn't help you now.

Anything expensive should have your own identifying mark on it. I usually mark my electronics somewhere on the inside with an etcher. Make it small and inconspicuous so people don't notice it until they look for something specific. Everything from game consoles, tools, TVs, monitors, surround sound system, laptops, etc ALL have some sort of mark on them that you would have to look for to find. Coupled with a picture of each item show its identifying mark, and you should be all set. Keep a backup set of pictures on a flash drive or somewhere other than your laptop (in case that gets stolen). Crooks won't know to sand/scratch/remove your identifying mark, and you should get your stuff back if it is ever found.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
The problem is that the guy who put the PS3, etc. up on Craigslist is likely not the thief who broke in and burglarized your residence. What often happens is that a junkie of some sort does the breaking/entering and thievery, then sells the "hot items" off the street to a random individual at a super low price (this allows the junkie to buy his next rock or bag of heroin). The guy buying off the street sells the item on Craigslist or wherever and turns a profit.

This makes it very difficult for the police to find the thief. They may end up busting the guy with a hot item, the item is recovered but can't be returned to the rightful owner since the serial or other identifying mark is scratched off. I agree with jhm's suggestion of making your own identifying mark, but that identifying mark literally needs to be your initials or your name (and possibly a unique number), otherwise the thief can claim that he himself made the identifying mark.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Just out of curiosity, for the police we have here, if someone calls 911 about a burglary, I assume the officer that responds is going to look around the house. How far is that officer going to go looking?
In my experience, not very far.

6 uniformed officers recently "searched" an apartment for a woman who had an outstanding warrant.

This woman was a serious threat to herself and needed to be found.

The cops were UNABLE to find her hiding in closet!!

Yes, 6 officers said the apartment was vacant, and they left.

Less than an hour later, the downstairs tenant calls me and says the woman is still in the apartment.

I had to call the cops back, and tell them to look a little harder next time.

They should have sent in the K9 unit first, there's no hiding from those cops!!

·
Registered
651 Posts
Sorry..just couldn't resist sharing this little clip. :cool:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts