New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am not sure if this has been discussed before or not. However, today I walked into my FFL to discuss the details of an out of state purchase I made. As we talked I looked around the shop. Bump-fire stocks have been trendy lately and many new manufactuers are juming on the band wagon to produce their own models. So, I asked if he carried any bump-fire stocks. He said, NO. He then went on to tell me that the NYS Police say that it is illegal to own in NY. The explanation was that the stock and firearm act as moving parts making it, or should I say "acting" as an automatic weapon. I have never heard of this up until today. When SSAR-15 (Slidefire Solutions) came out, they produced a letter within the packaging of their product from the BATF stating the legality of the bump fire stock. Recently, more similar products are being produced. I also noticed them being sold at gunshows in NY.

This leaves me a little confused as to who is right and who is wrong and what the truth really is. The BATF? The NY State Police? If it can't be sold in NY, why is it being sold openly in NY? Who takes precedent in this "gray" area of the law?

Also, if you do own one I think you better remove it now and find out the status before it gets you into a heep of trouble.

In any event, if any fellow forum followers have any info or questions about this matter please post them.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
They sell them all over here. Can't say for sure, but that "Heard it from the state police/ and FFL/ this one guy/ Oprah" stuff usually has the credibility of a croissant.

·
Registered
810 Posts
They sell them all over here. Can't say for sure, but that "Heard it from the state police/ and FFL/ this one guy/ Oprah" stuff usually has the credibility of a croissant.
Could I get jelly on that :)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I fully agree. However, nobody wants to call up their attorney facing a felony charge either.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts