New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these legal for civillians in NY?

IN delaware we can own them and sell them as long as we are not in a crime. For example if you rob a bank and wear body armor they charge you with an extra charge.

I have a buddy selling some surplus police vests with kevlar ( no ceramic in them) level II or IIA he is looking ot unload.

I wanted to make sure they were legal before posting them.

Thanks guys.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Legal in NY. They're only illegal when they're used during the comission of a crime.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Also illegal to own if you are a convicted felon.

To go along with what Spydermonkey said:

UNLAWFUL WEARING OF A BODY VEST
(E Felony)
PENAL LAW 270.20(1)
(Committed on or after Nov. 1, 2001)
(Revised September 19, 2003)1
The count is Unlawful Wearing of a Body Vest.
Under our law, a person is guilty of the Unlawful Wearing of
a Body Vest when acting either alone or with one or more
persons, he or she commits any violent felony offense...2 while
knowingly 3 possessing a firearm, [rifle] [or shotgun] and in the
course of and in furtherance of such crime that person wears a
body vest.

Also residents of Connecticut are prohibited from buying Body Armor unless the sale is face to face (or unless the buyer is a police officer, Police Department, or military).

·
Registered
561 Posts
Id be interested in a couple depending on price. Anyone know why vests have an expiration date?

·
Registered
210 Posts
"Ballistic performance decay is not a function of age alone. Deterioration does not occur without plenty of use and/or abuse. Although decay has been measured after as little as three years, so far this appears to be isolated to certain unique combinations of lightweight, minimal care, and very hard use."

"Ballistic performance deterioration seems to vary individually and be heavily related to the amount of use, kind of use, and quality of care. It appears that just like uniforms, some officers simply wear their vests much harder than others."

http://www.pointblankarmor.com/PDFs/DHB_Safety_Report_80104.pdf

I'm pretty sure the dates listed on most vests are in reference to the warranty expiration date.

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
As far as expiring a buddy of mine who was a deputy sheriff told me its a legal disclaimer, but he also ordered one. I dont want to tell anyone these will 100% stop a bullet as new vests cant make that claim. I can say i will have mine on when SHTF.

If people are intrested start sending Pm messages with size. I am not sure what shipping will be but I would only charge actual shipping and price is $75 . I was going to post a seperate section on sale, but hey here is a pic of mine. They are all in pretty good condition. Some dust from storage but the kevlar seems to be fine in all the ones I checked.

Here is a photobucket page with some of the other items I sell.

Pictures by ljbarms - Photobucket

·
Banned
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes pretty much I wear an xxl or xxxl shirt and the xxl fits me fine. They can be slightly altered I was told if need be as long as you are not cutting kevlar

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Also illegal to own if you are a convicted felon.

To go along with what Spydermonkey said:

UNLAWFUL WEARING OF A BODY VEST
(E Felony)
PENAL LAW 270.20(1)
(Committed on or after Nov. 1, 2001)
(Revised September 19, 2003)1
The count is Unlawful Wearing of a Body Vest.
Under our law, a person is guilty of the Unlawful Wearing of
a Body Vest when acting either alone or with one or more
persons, he or she commits any violent felony offense...2 while
knowingly 3 possessing a firearm, [rifle] [or shotgun] and in the
course of and in furtherance of such crime that person wears a
body vest.

Also residents of Connecticut are prohibited from buying Body Armor unless the sale is face to face (or unless the buyer is a police officer, Police Department, or military).
A shotgun/rifle is not a firearm. They are defined pretty much as a pistol that wasn't registered.

But in all seriousness if you wear a vest while committing a felony all you will do is get another charge on top of it. And if someone is doing something where they feel they need to be wearing a vest while committing the felony I have a feeling they plan to either die or get away in the end. If they get caught it would probably just be out of injury.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts