New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
1,841 Posts
That's corrosive and Berdan primed, keep in mind. Cheap, but for a good reason.

That being said, I've had good luck with the PPU. Still have some "Match" .308, and while it's not quite the same quality as American-made match ammo, it's certainly not bad. Probably considered a match round simply for the fact that it has a 175gr OTM BT bullet. Brass is reloadable, too, in case you or someone you know is into that sort of thing.

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
I'd look for either South African surplus, the PPU/Privi stuff, or just "splurge" on some Lake City XM80C if you can find some. I've shot some of the Portuguese stuff, and although it's not corrosive, there is definitely some heavy oxidation on the brass of it. Still functions flawlessly in my SCAR.

Boss, we should get together and go shooting sometime. I'm sure there's a few guns in each other's collections we may want to try!

· Registered
9,700 Posts
I'm not selling the stuff just thought it was a good deal even if it's corrosive and for the price on the Portuguese I would polish each one with steel wool while sitting in front of the boob tube. .308 is so expensive now I'm thinking if I don't start reloading soon I will get rid of my rifles in that caliber.

· Registered
537 Posts
I've shot about 100 rounds of the Portuguese Nato ammo out of my Browning BLR with no issues at all. It's accurate, and while the cases are not "shiny" they are not badly corroded in my opinion. I paid $70 for 200 rounds about 7 years ago, so if the shipping is anywhere near reasonable I think that site has a pretty good deal.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
The Privi match grade stuff is decent, it's accurate and doesn't foul things up too badly. CTD used to sell RUAG non-corrosive at about $6 per 20 rd box, but it didn't shoot consistently and it was a waste to shoot it beyond 100-150 yds. Fine for plinking though. Now CTD is out of it so I don't even bother looking at anything on their website any more.

· Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just bought 10 boxes of federal power shok 150 grain soft point to get me going. 14.99 a box. Same stuff at dicks and gander is 20. I cannot stand looking at empty magazines. So ill have 8 filled with good stuff and ill get some online stuff but I don't want to shoot junk corrosive steel ammo out of my $2500 hk91

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.