New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Built my 2nd faraday box today for $25. Very basic design. Bought an aluminum garbage can, lined it with cardboard and put a doubled up heavy garbage bag in it. I ran a copper wire from the handle to a ground. Placed radios, batteries, solar charging panels, nook with survival documents, solar array voltage regulator, power inverter, extra coil, point and voltage regulator for 1960's car that sits in the garage.

If anyone is interested in a good survival document library and hasn't already contacted me for the link, please feel free to do so.

~V~

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Great info man... Hold that link close to heart; seems like great topics. Will review it subject by subject.

·
Registered
984 Posts
OK, Questions I have been thinking about. It seems that the main purpose of a cage is to re-route an EMP away from components and to ground. SInce any type of electricity follows the path of least resistance if you were to spend the time to ensure your car/truck is completely bonded and had ground wire drags installed could this be a suitable safety?
Along the same lines if you have one of the portable garages that have become very popular. If you were to line the framework with copper mesh, ensure it is all bonded including the door areas and grounded to ground rods, would that not also become a suitable faraday cage?

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
OK, Questions I have been thinking about. It seems that the main purpose of a cage is to re-route an EMP away from components and to ground. SInce any type of electricity follows the path of least resistance if you were to spend the time to ensure your car/truck is completely bonded and had ground wire drags installed could this be a suitable safety?
Along the same lines if you have one of the portable garages that have become very popular. If you were to line the framework with copper mesh, ensure it is all bonded including the door areas and grounded to ground rods, would that not also become a suitable faraday cage?
Your idea with the portable garage is great Id say if you could keep the vehicle completely insulated from the copper mesh you would be ok maybe adding a layer of plastic after the copper mesh would help.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A metal shed should work well. One of the garages may as well. As long as it had metal sides to boot. I have read though that you do not want to use painted metal for protection. Not sure why. All this being said, since we have not actually experienced an EMP, it is speculation at this point.

·
Registered
162 Posts
"once down the path of EMP you step, forever will it consume you" - Steven Harris.

Having said that, it is a fun hobby and as long as you've taken care of all of the more likely emergencies (i.e. a couple of months of food, water, savings for 6 months expenses in case you lose your job, etc) certainly nothing wrong with a hobby.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts