New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the process of building my own 10/22. Right now I have a green mountain 18" .920 fluted stainless barrel with the fire sights on it. It was the only heavy barrel I could find with irons on it and they are very nice to...fiber optic. I also have a hogue over old stock on the way in od green. I'm just waiting on a receiver assembly. I'm hoping it's a good shooter and as easy to put together as it looks.

Anything I should know from someone who has done this???

· Registered
42 Posts
This x 2

To be using a good bull barrel and aftermarket receiver with iron sights seems a waste to me. If your going for accuracy you want good glass.

Everything goes together very easy 98% of the time and all aspects are very easy to do with the 10/22.
+1

get yourself some see threw scrope rings so you cans still use the iron sights but with the bull barrel on it why limit yourself throw on a 4x for distance and the iron sights for closer encounters.

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As of right now it's just a plinker. I wanted the bull barrel cause I'm not a big fan of the little skinny barrel. I'm not going to fancy and am just gonna go with a stock receiver/trigger group. I was also thinking maybe eventually a low power scope like a 1-4

· Registered
214 Posts
I would also recommend a low power scope for it, i have a cheap NC Star scope on mine and for what i paid, it is a nice piece. If yoir not looking for a competition gun the iron sights may be fine if thats all you really want, it is ultimately up to you what you want.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
You can make them as complex or simple as you want, for a plinker just have fun and do as much as you want (caution: you will want to continue to upgrade once you start)

This is a complete custom 10/22 I built for my wife (only stock part is receiver). I have over $1k into this gun. That is a 10 shot group at 50 yards she shot using just front bag to rest on.

Plant Automotive design Wood Luggage and bags Calabaza
Data storage device Font Circle Recreation Paint

endless possibilities and a very addicting hobby = a fun time

Attachments

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm hopin it's a good shooter. The main purpose
ofthis build was to have good irons. I have a feeling that at some point it may get a scope. Now I just need to find a stock receiver assembly. I missed the complete new one that was on gb 2 days ago :-(

· Registered
2,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check out Rimfirecentral.com there is a few on there for sale now in the 10/22 Classifieds under Receiver Parts.
Yea I saw them as I'm a member over there. I would rather hold out for new though. I have seen a new complete receiver/trigger set for around the $180 mark. If anything I'll just buy a new rifle and cannibalize it.

· Registered
214 Posts
For $180 i would just buy a used 10/22 complete and sell off what i didnt need. I only paid $145 for mine but that was a good deal but they can still be found for cheap. I know a guy who just bought one NIB from a dealer for $190.

The only stock part on mine is the receiver and trigger group. I just sold most all of the parts i took off it to a guy online, he got a good deal.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
I bought the 10/22 brand new for $199 and then took all parts off...Keep an eye out on RFC and GB, only problem is buying it your going to have FFL fees as it is considered the firearm and has the SN. If your not in a rush and keep your eyes open you will find a good deal on one...

I second the extended mag release, and also recommend a new bolt release or modifying the stock one. The original is a PITA.

· Registered
2,316 Posts
is it possible to buy all of the parts of a 10/22 and simply put it together?
Yes. You still have to use a FFL for the receiver though. It's totally possible to build a 10/22 without using any ruger parts though.

I would love to do it myself but the amount of money you can dump into one is pretty intense. haha

· Banned
559 Posts
Yes. You still have to use a FFL for the receiver though. It's totally possible to build a 10/22 without using any ruger parts though.

I would love to do it myself but the amount of money you can dump into one is pretty intense. haha
ahh...so you need an FFL to buy the receiver, as the receiver is the core of the gun's functioning.

gotcha.

· Head Fapper
1,219 Posts
You need an FFL whenever shipping the main serialized part. For example, on a lot of European rifles, the serial is on the upper receiver, where as an AR15 has the serial on the lower receiver. Some guns have serial numbers in multiple places, but almost always it's wherever the action is that is what is considered the firearm. Hope that wasn't confusing.

· Banned
559 Posts
You need an FFL whenever shipping the main serialized part. For example, on a lot of European rifles, the serial is on the upper receiver, where as an AR15 has the serial on the lower receiver. Some guns have serial numbers in multiple places, but almost always it's wherever the action is that is what is considered the firearm. Hope that wasn't confusing.
learn something new every day. :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.