New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

Any tips on building an AR 10, is it just like building an AR 15?

I'm new to building your on firearm, and not very knowledgeable on the parts. I'm at the level just above beginner, but not to the moderate knowledge level.

Firearms in general is a great hobby and I enjoy discussing stuff about them with people and how firearms just bring people together to chat. So, any info would be great!!

· Registered
11,402 Posts
In theory is just like building an AR15 but the issue is compatibility of parts as there is no single standard
for the 308 AR platform.
I went with Knights/SR25/Kinghts based systems vs. Armalite or other systems. You even have lowers for the G3 mags.
Also Rock rivers have their own version.
Keep in mind some receivers will only work with uppers of the same make.
Some stocks will not work with the 308 based platforms, specially those with cheek raisers need to have enough
distance/clearance for the extra travel of the carrier and therefore carry handle.
Also handguard selection is somehow limited and make sure if you go over the gas block it is going to work.
Aside from that and as far as the actual schema and assembly process there is no difference with the AR15.
I hope this helps.

· Premium Member
1,205 Posts
For the most part yes, except there are two main platforms and they are different and not interchangable.
You have Armalite AR-10/Noveske/etc and DPMS/KAC/etc make sure the BCG is the same style as your barrel.

· Banned
1,269 Posts
The DPMS 308 seems to be easier to find parts for! I have seen there lowers for sale a few times,and you can buy a complete upper in stock at Midway that will be at your door in days.I have checked on building one of these as well,but still waiting to find one complete and NY compliant (not easy).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.