New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have a full ak47 parts kit and also a fully bent and treated receiver. The problem is I want to put this gun together anyone have experience with this? Or can someone point me to some sort of resource in which I can review the process before I proceed any farther? This kit has been sitting for years in the back of my gun cabinet and I am finally sick of looking at a box full of parts so I want to put this thing together and start flinging more lead around! Thanks
-Joe

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Hey guys I have a full ak47 parts kit and also a fully bent and treated receiver. The problem is I want to put this gun together anyone have experience with this? Or can someone point me to some sort of resource in which I can review the process before I proceed any farther? This kit has been sitting for years in the back of my gun cabinet and I am finally sick of looking at a box full of parts so I want to put this thing together and start flinging more lead around! Thanks
-Joe
Might sound crazy but check out youtube, I have seen many many building videos for AK rifles and all sorts of stuff on there, I believe there is one on there that tells you how to do it without the proper tools (as in, average guy tools who don't have access to heavy machinery for peening rivets and such) and still get a solid and reliable build, other then that I have never tired myself, thought about buying prats kits for my first AK but ended up just buying one already assembled.

·
Registered
53 Posts
You will need a rivet kit from akbuilders,anti seize for the trunnion,carbide drill bits,drill press,12-20 ton hydraulic shop press and a 3-4x cleco aviation rivet gun.If you decide to sell it let me know.I hope this helps.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I once visited Izhmash and observed how AKMs are made. I would say
that AK is not a DIY firearm, and it takes a mechanical factory with all
the tooling etc to build one. It is not just the tooling that a DIYer needs but also all the specialized quality control gauges and meters.
AK's are build to high tolerancies, which is the reason most AK's have interchangeable internal parts.
Once the receiver is assembled and rivets are in place, there's not much you can do
to take it apart and reassemble if something is wrong.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts