New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife is soon going to have a kid; and while I do have my guns in safes I was thinking I would like to make the whole room secure from children. Then one thing led to another and I now want to make the whole room secure from curious kids or break-ins. Can anybody recommend a security company that can install a heavy duty door and frame, and bar up the one small window to the room? I should add that I am in Rochester.

·
Registered
913 Posts
don't really know how small the window is but i say do glass block, and install on your reenforced door the handles with key pad. easy access for you and no needing to fumble with a key if the situation comes that you need to get into the room fast

·
Registered
740 Posts
I know Liberty and other safe companies sell reinforced vault doors that you can buy. With a bit of elbow grease and some help from buddies, you could do it all yourself. Remember, the room will only be as strong as the walls.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have yet to find any security company to do what I need and I am running out of time. Are any of you licensed contractors who can widen and re-frame my current 28 inch wide interior door and install a new steel door with 3 deadbolts around it?

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I know Liberty and other safe companies sell reinforced vault doors that you can buy. With a bit of elbow grease and some help from buddies, you could do it all yourself. Remember, the room will only be as strong as the walls.
  1. I have often thought of doing this in a home, of course the walls would need to be concrete and the inside of the place would need its own ventilation system along with a separate power source (maybe even solar powered). I have plans on my desk for a house that would be able to fit the description of a safe room (getting the wife to let me build it is another trick).

·
Registered
687 Posts
make sure you get a steel frame with the steel door.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You can find a building that used to be a bank and before the demo you can negotiate to buy the vault room. Let just say it has been done before and with a weeks time and some patience can be moved to your location and installed....

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Not sure of your budget or how much they charge but you could try to see if Johnson Controls can help you. I would think that since your in webster you could get away with needing the room to be secure (with you in it) for maybe 30 minutes to an hour. Maybe put some steel plates or something in the walls so they couldnt simply go through wall. Ventalate to the roof since most likely they arent going to go there. Place a wireless IP camera (maybe trednet for example) in the room so you can view it remotely and get emails if someone goes in triggering the motion detection.

Now to get crazy, crazy cool lol. You could add sound insulation as well so they cant hear you talking to police on cell phone (maybe leave a charged cell phone in there, even an un activated one call 911). You could install ( try to imagine what I am trying to say here) multiple sets of the following: those security doors that only one side can be open at a time. You know the ones to pass things through in shady areas. If you know what I mean then the door that is on outside wall where instruders could be should open into itself so you could cover it up with a picture or something so no one would see it initially. Then from the inside you could put smoke grenades (legal as signaling device) in there and close your door and opening the outer one so they cant see also giving police advantage if they have to make tactical assault. Obviosuly wait for their command to do it lol. Yes you would have some smoke damage to your stuff but it could save your live and odds are you will never use it so its a non issue. Note the inner door prevent the smoke from getting in the room you are in.

Either way you have some time before your new child will be able to get to any firearms in a room with a closed door that have safety locks on the firearms.

Bullet proof glass to replace your window might be another option as well. As you see you can spend a lot of money. You can save a lot by doing it yourself as stated above.

·
Registered
2,953 Posts
Not sure of your budget or how much they charge but you could try to see if Johnson Controls can help you. I would think that since your in webster you could get away with needing the room to be secure (with you in it) for maybe 30 minutes to an hour. Maybe put some steel plates or something in the walls so they couldnt simply go through wall. Ventalate to the roof since most likely they arent going to go there. Place a wireless IP camera (maybe trednet for example) in the room so you can view it remotely and get emails if someone goes in triggering the motion detection.

Now to get crazy, crazy cool lol. You could add sound insulation as well so they cant hear you talking to police on cell phone (maybe leave a charged cell phone in there, even an un activated one call 911). You could install ( try to imagine what I am trying to say here) multiple sets of the following: those security doors that only one side can be open at a time. You know the ones to pass things through in shady areas. If you know what I mean then the door that is on outside wall where instruders could be should open into itself so you could cover it up with a picture or something so no one would see it initially. Then from the inside you could put smoke grenades (legal as signaling device) in there and close your door and opening the outer one so they cant see also giving police advantage if they have to make tactical assault. Obviosuly wait for their command to do it lol. Yes you would have some smoke damage to your stuff but it could save your live and odds are you will never use it so its a non issue. Note the inner door prevent the smoke from getting in the room you are in.

Either way you have some time before your new child will be able to get to any firearms in a room with a closed door that have safety locks on the firearms.

Bullet proof glass to replace your window might be another option as well. As you see you can spend a lot of money. You can save a lot by doing it yourself as stated above.
Simply awesome, I tip my tinfoil hat to you Sir.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
You need 5' thick concrete walls w/ steel plate reenforcing.

·
Registered
436 Posts
but its a cool thread!

I ll show it to my wife bc she thinks that I am loosing my mind of thinking of such an idea!!! Hahaha

A similar room is a must if we move from Queens, NY

1 - 19 of 19 Posts