New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone built a rifle (Mosin, Mauser, etc) using their FFL03? Any tips on not violating the curio and relic status? I love working on old guns and I only recently recived my FFL03, so I am not fully educated in it's intricacies.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
I know you cant buy a gun and modify it but I don't see a reason you couldn't buy a receiver and build it to original spec.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
You can "restore" with original parts but you cannot sporterize it. That will change the class of the firearm and it is a big no-no. So if a firing pin broke or a spring then yes you can change them with aftermarket parts but if you installed some kind of ATI stock, it is not a curio or relic anymore and I believe it must be converted to be 922r compliant. It is in your 03 handbook.

James

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have seen some members here and other places doing some cool builds from receiver and parts with all kinds of curios. So thank you for the replies. I will go check out my handbook.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
James is correct. Restoration using original, period correct parts is fine. No modifications are allowed as that will remove it from C&R status. ( but adding something like a scope is OK)

·
Registered
268 Posts
You can do what ever you want to a C&R gun. You just log it out to yourself so it can no longer be transferred as a C&R off your books.

·
Registered
109 Posts
A couple of years back I picked up an M-38 barreled receiver and restored it back to original military configuration.
I picked up all the parts from buymilsurp, GB, and various gunshows. I'm a sucker for barreled receivers and scoop em up when I can.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts