New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that you can take a stripped lower thats marked other (not rifle),and add a tube that does not take a stock and your good to go as a pistol.Is this correct?

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Nope no way! Would have to be registered as a pistol and stay a pistol. Plus in ny the only way would to buy a preban if you could even find one.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
In NY there would be issues with it being too heavy and having the magazine outside the pistol grip.

As I understand it, the only real way to do an AR pistol in NY is to buy a preban that was already configured as such.

EDIT:
Looks like that guy above me and me was typing at the same time :)

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
The ATF does not consider the buffer tube as a buttstock. NY may think otherwise. I see people owning these and for the life of me I cannot see why unless your just in it for the fun factor.

James

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I cannot see why unless your just in it for the fun factor.
Perhaps because we aren't deemed worthy of owning SBR's even if willing to pay the NFA tax?

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nope no way! Would have to be registered as a pistol and stay a pistol. Plus in ny the only way would to buy a preban if you could even find one.
Thats whats confusing me!You can get stripped lowers in PA (where i was reading info) that fall in 3 categories,pistol/rifle and other.As its listed as other it could be either,so was thinking how that would work after you complete the build?

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to call the shop tomorrow to find out the scoop,and my gun shops are in PA maybe NY is different....But what I have been reading the shops have been marking stripped lowers as rifles out of convenience,but shoud be marking them as other.Even the shops cant figure out all the laws IMO!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Also, isn't it the law that rifles can't ever be loaded in vehicles? Having an AR pistol allows you to keep it loaded, depending on the license.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WOW nice,little out of my price range though!!!!Just very hard to get a rifle lower ordered in my area I can just imagine a pistol one.Was at my PA shop in January to get a lower and she said her vendors have none in stock and she will call me when they do.Now its May and still didnt get that call LOL!!!Heres a couple links I have found about the stripped lowers marked as other in PA...Which seems not to be a problem as this is going to be me and my brothers project that lives in PA,it will just stay there,and when dooms day comes and laws go out the window I can use it here...

AR-15 stripped lower MUST be registered as a handgun - Legal issues?

New stripped lower classified as a pistol?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
You're never going to make the under 50oz weight limit nor are you going to squeek by with the magazine outside the pistol grip no matter how much you want to dream it. There's no way around tthose items, and combined they = felony no matter what state you haul it in from or try to register it as.
If its got a shield over the barrel, that's another slap in the head.

Preban is literally your only choice in NY.

SA bolt carrier (not group, just carrier w/gas key) 9.3oz, FA 9.6oz
Buffer (carbine) weight 3.0~6.4oz depending on your selection or mechanical need
There's 12.3~15.6oz by itself and haven't even got as far as receivers, receiver extension, buffer spring, fire control group, pivot and takedown pins, barrel, barrel nut, gas block, gas tube, bolt w/extractor, firing pin, charging handle and siights.

And that's being gracious by leaving out dust cover and forward assist and completely forgoing any muzzle device.

The keltec PLR16, which forgoes aspects of the conventional DI system comes in at 54.72oz right out of the box minimally equipped absolute base model.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Well I want to keep it a pistol and its for PA.Sorta want this (pic) but with the PSA 7.5" upper and use a stripped lower (marked other) with a pistol kit on it.I keep reading that would be legal to do,in PA anyway.I just dont know if the shop (in PA) will allow me (from NY) to buy the lower as marked other?Not sure if NY has the same paperwork to make it "other" but its spouse to be question 18.

Question 18. Type of Firearm(s): Check all boxes that apply. "Other"
refers to frames, receivers and other firearms that are not either handguns or
long guns (rifles or shotguns), such as fireanns having a pistol grip that expel
a shOlgun shell, or National Firearms Act (NFA) firearms.

Link to the info...

Best Available AR Pistol Lower - M4Carbine.net Forums

Sorta what I/we (my brother) really want next!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Sorta what I/we (my brother) really want next!
No bbl shroud in NY.
Nor forward grip (which that hand stop may be construed as if you meet up with the wrong DA)

AFAIK NY has no provision for 'other'/'all other weapons' to be in civilian hands.
Not even sure LEO can own them, though they can be issued for carry out of the department armory.
Could be well off on that, but fairly certain that's the way it goes.

Bushmaster = master of the brush where that and all the other POS they make are tossed because they suck and are the majoirty part of the junk pile in said brush
(they're OK to receive as a gift as long as you treat them like a fruitcake: pass them on untouched to someone else)
:D

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
$824.74 for that?!?
Really?

WOW, BM sells some of thier long guns for less.

I woulda expected $400~$600 mabe, by $800+?

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Purely out of curiousity, if one did obtain such and have it legally put on a permit, to 'have and carry concealed' would you go for IWB, OWB or shoulder holster ?

·
Premium Member
1,205 Posts
That is exactly what I want,wonder how long they are back-ordered though?With the parts/rifles anywhere mostly on back-order I could do this (stripped lower idea) and have it complete in probably 2 weeks...
That's a polymer lower, an aluminum won't make weight,
unless you cut the crap out of it, like this Oly...

<snip>
Bushmaster = master of the brush where that and all the other POS they make are tossed because they suck and are the majoirty part of the junk pile in said brush
Never said I'd buy one, but they are an option, sort of.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts