New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm sitting here toying with the idea of building a bolt action ar-15.

Since the NY Safe BS, building any sort of semi-auto AR is pretty much pointless, since it has to be "featureless" or have a fixed mag, both of which make it not really worthwhile to do, at least to me.

However, if you were to make a AR-15, and remove the semi-auto capability, then you could have all the features you wanted (but still be limited to 10 round mags, which really wouldn't be horrible in a non-semi anyways), and you'd be perfectly legal.

I like the modularity of the AR-15, and the ability to choose different stocks/forends, detatchable mags, quick caliber changes (different upper), upgradable internal components (trigger, bolt, ect), ect. I had a Rem 700 in 223, but that didn't really turn me on too much, since once you upgrade the stock and trigger, you're pretty much done without machinery and training to do further mods (barrel swap, action truing, ect).

What I'm thinking about has been done before, and appears to be pretty straightfoward, just get a sidecharging upper, and a barrel that either hasn't been drilled for gas holes, or a gas block that hasn't been drilled. Pretty simple.

Since I still see a number of people offering AR lowers for sale in NYS, and the general consensus is that the lower by itself isn't really subject to the SAFE act, I assume that they are still legal to purchase by themselves, correct?

Also trying to decide if I'd want a LH or RH charging handle. I'm a lefty, and have always coped with RH bolt guns, but I find when shooting from a bench that i have to completely reset my body after every shot.

Anybody done this before, and what are your thoughts?

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts

·
5,474 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I would not mind getting one of those uppers. We need someone in the US to make them. UK does not sell them to the US.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts

·
5,474 Posts
What about ordering parts for a conversion?? Why couldn't this be imported by someone like CAI or someone along those lines? That would be my dream AR platformed (if you could call it that) competition rifle right there. Just give me an A2 style buttstock, a heavy barrel with nothing on the muzzle but a sweet crown and an adjustable trigger and I'd be set.
Just have a machine shop here modify an upper and bolt carrier or buy a side charger upper, buy a barrel without a gas port or flip a gas block upside down to block the port. Take off the gas system and you got it. Or leave your upper receiver alone and cock with the charger handle between shots.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
I like the long charging handle. I've seen the ones in the US with have a bolt protruding from the font of the bolt carrier and i do not like them as much.

·
5,474 Posts
I like the long charging handle. I seen the ones in the US with have a bolt protruding from the font of the bolt carrier and i do not le them as much.
That a machinist will have to make. Also, the bolt carrier needs a second hole for a pin so the extended bolt handle can't rotate

1 - 11 of 11 Posts