New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been into firearms for a long time. Have wanted an AR for a long time also. Didn't know a lot about them but last November I got the bug and started planning a build.

Wanted to use a Spike's Tactical lower, Wanted a midlength. Was just going to use Del-Ton, That's how I started. Wanted to use OD green furniture, so planned build around the Magpul MOE stuff.
Bought a MOE grip, CTR stock and ordered the stripped lower from Spike's. All on Cyber Monday. No Magpul middy hand guard in OD though. Did I get the black? Heck no, rethink the upper, might just as well go Spikes all the way so in goes my order, and order it with a rail. A 12" rail, to go over the gas block. And while I'm on the phone with them, upgrade to a BCM Gunfighter charging handle and chrome BCG. of course they have to pin and weld on a muzzle brake also. Need backup sights, OK order Magpul MBUS front and rear, in OD Green, Order some rail covers while we are at it. Order a RRA LPK with the two stage match trigger, Need tools so along with the carbine receiver extension, and buffer spring, I order a brass hammer and all the punches I need, order (4) 10 round magazines. Order a case, have to lug it around afterall. Ordered a red dot sight, the eyes ain't what they used to be. Half price sale on camo green Vickers slings, get one of those. Got it all coming.

Now.....Sounds like a plan, right? Well, I hear back from Spike's that rails won't be ready until the end of February so we are talking March on my upper. OK not going to go shoot in the snow afterall. Next thing I spot a good deal on a Stag AWB compliant upper, a carbine. The bug is gnawing on me bad...I order it........I order another lower from Spike's, I get their enhanced LPK with the battle trigger. I get an ARFX skeleton stock for the carbine, get it, don't like it, decide to put the CTR on the carbine and order a Magpul PRS stock for the middy. Oh, slings still on sale so order another for the carbine. Order carbine hand guards, another MOE grip, rails for the hand guard, a VFG, (plus an AFG for the middy,) and a weapons light while I was at it.

So this has occupied me for the last three months. Last night I pinned and epoxied the CTR :( and after mounting the optic and light, plus a MI BUIS, the carbine was done. Today UPS brought me 500 rds of Federal from Palmetto, so all set for Spring. But I think I may be shooting in the snow this weekend.

Well still have to buy a scope for the middy, and a Harris bi-pod, and have to join the local club so I can use their range....

And think now I need an SUV to carry all this stuff instead of my pickup,

It never stops.

;)

I'll get some pics up later in the year when both builds get done.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Today UPS brought me 500 rds of Federal from Palmetto, so all set for Spring. But I think I may be shooting in the snow this weekend.
LOL
Between the smoke a new barrel will generate 'til it cooks off any residuals and the steam made by hot stuff in cold air, you might wanna bring a fan too :D

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Holy crap PY-Tactical, I wish I had stuff to sell you.
From the sounds of it you are on your way to having two excellent rifles. Please post up some pics when you get a chance, and let us know how the carbine runs.

·
Registered
551 Posts
enjoy

·
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Upgraded build #2 today. With the carbine done, (last piece, a Magpul BAD is in the mail,) I was afraid that the 16" mid-length was too much alike to it. Soooooooo...

Had Spike's change the upper to an 18" stainless steel SPR type Lothar Walther barrel, kept the 12" BAR rail and BCM Gunfighter charging handle but upgraded the BCG from chrome to nickel boron plated. Figured I'll get the accuracy I'm looking for from this barrel without the weight of a bull barrel.

Still deciding on a scope and mounts. Leaning toward a Millet 4-16x50 tactical. Trying to decide on mounts but keep coming back to the LaRues cant mount (I think the #104) expensive but not really that much more than the comprtition.

After the optic I still need to buy a bipod. Harris 6"-9"

Have here on hand for this rifle: the Spike's stripped lower, RRA LPK and NM two stage trigger, .554" KNS anti rotation pins, Magpul grip, PRS Stock, front and rear MBUS and an AFG, plus the Vickers sling.

Then I'll be done...or will I?

PYT

·
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just got a camera to replace one I dropped and broke. Will try yo get some shots of the Carbine this weekend. Should I get some pics of the box of parts for the SPR?:DAll it will be for a few months whaile I wait for the upper.

·
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Pics of AR build #1:

Build #2 is just a pile of parts at this point.

That's a 10/30 blocked Pmag. Legal but never leaves the house.

·
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Specs on my carbine:

Lower: Spike's Tactical stripped lower, OD green colorized roll mark, laser etch.
LPK: Spike's enhanced parts kit.
with NiB battle trigger, ambi-safety lever, KNS Gen 2 anti-rotation pins.
Grip: Magpul MOE OD green with battery storage insert.
Stock: Magpul CTR, OD green, pinned and epoxied for fixed per AWB.
Receiver extension, (mil-spec,) buffer spring, receiver plate w/ sling mount: Daniels Defence,
Buffer: Spike's ST-T2
Upper: Stag Arms model 0H, 16" carbine. Shaved bayonet mount and permanently pinned muzzle brake for AWB compliance.
Hand guard: Magpul OD green MOE.
Forward grip: Magpul OD green MVG.
BUIS: MI OD green.
Sling: Vickers, camo green.
Weapons light: Primary Arms UWL with pressure switch.
Optic: Primary Arms M4 red dot.
I just ordered a Nikon 1-4 x20 scope with a Burris P.E.P.R. QD mount to try instead of the RD. Also ordered a cheek riser to use on the stock with the scope.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Ya know. I keep on trying to tell myself that I personally have no use for an AR until i see set-ups like this. Very nice!

·
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sweet gun how much $ do you have into it?
Somewhere around $1,100.00 without the light and optic but I try not to think about it. Cheaper than a Harley. :)

·
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That's a sweet setup you put together!! Have you had the chance to get it to the range yet?
Not that dedicated...old man here, dedication is to to keeping warm! I can wait till Spring. However, first weekend over 40 might just find me out there. :D

·
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
This week I received my 18" SPR upper from Spike's Tactical so thought I'd show the pic of the pile of parts and tools I've accumulated for this build. Still need a scope mount, either American Defence or LaRue, and are debating on using the RRA 2-stage trigger I have or going for a Geiselle SSA-E. In the background is my first build which now has a B.A.D. lever installed and had a Nikon 1-4 scope on a Primary Arms mount, replacing the red dot. (Red dot going on a S&W M&P 15-22 I've yet to buy.) Specs on the SPR to follow:

Specs on the SPR:
Lower: Spike's Tactical stripped lower, red colorized roll mark.
(tapped for set screw to capture the rear take down spring and indent)
LPK: RRA
Trigger: RRA two stage match, (may use Geiselle SSA-E on final assembly.)
KNS Gen 2 anti-rotation pins.
Ambi safety selector.
Grip: Ergo deluxe with palm shelf, OD green.
Trigger guard: Magpul Poly, OD green.
Stock: Magpul P.R.S. OD green.
Receiver extension & spring: A2 rifle from Brownells, Buffer: Spike's ST-T2
Upper: Spike's Tactical SPR, Lothar Walther 18" Stainless Steel barrel, 1:8.
BCG: Nickel Boron (NiB) plated.
Charging Handle: BCM Gunfighter
Muzzle device: Spike's Tactical muzzle brake, pinned and welded.
Rail: 13.2" Spike's SAR, OD green ladder rail covers
Forward grip: Magpul OD green AVG.
BUIS: Magpul MBUS, front and rear
Sling: Vickers, camo green.
Bipod: Harris BRM-S on YHM adaptor.
Optic: Millet TRS-1 Tactical Mil-Dot, 4-16 x 50
Magazine: Pmag 10/20
Ammo: Hornady 75 gr match

1 - 18 of 18 Posts