New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when and why would you change buffer weight?

i have seen rifle buffers(5 oz) in commercial tubes in a pinned carbine stock set ups and have seen 3 oz buffers in milspec tubes on carbine set ups,.................confused !!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
when and why would you change buffer weight?

i have seen rifle buffers(5 oz) in commercial tubes in a pinned carbine stock set ups
This is probably because the buffer tube was actually fixed-stock length. During the ban (and maybe afterwards, considering NY's delima) some manufacturers made fake collapsible stocks. But instead of pinning the stock body to a carbine-length tube, they made new stock tubes that looked like carbine tubes, but where actually the same length as fixed-stocks. So, with this stock, there were no legal wranglings about whether the stock body could be unpinned or not, creating an illegal collapsible stock. Even if you unpinned the stock body and moved it forward, you'd still be stuck with a long-ass tube sticking out the back.

and have seen 3 oz buffers in milspec tubes on carbine set ups,.................confused !!!
3 oz is the standard weight for a carbine buffer. I don't prefer them, but that's the default for most manufacturers. If you go heavier, you can get short stroking. If you go too light, you just get excessive recoil/ muzzle flip. It's safer to install a light recoil buffer for the manufacturer since the later condition, though not optimal, isn't considered a malfunction, whereas the former would be.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
I got a heavy buffer and it ran fine with milspec/surplus ammo, I admit I didn't notice a difference in recoil or anything else. When I ran Wolf or Tula I was having short stroking issues and a few incidents where the rim got ripped off by the extractor and the empty shell casing got stuck in the chamber. I swapped the regular carbine buffer back in and haven't had a problem since. I would say if you aren't having issues then leave it alone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts