New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, so when I found out no more surplus U.S. arms would be available to the civilian market I jumped and put an order in for two CMP garand's. So I received one today and it's beautiful, the other one won't be delivered for another week. Now financial issues arose unexpectedly and I need quick cash. A buddy of mine said he'd buy the other garand from me. Even though the other rifle will be shipped to my FFL in my name can we pick it up and he can go through the background check at take possession of the rifle legally? Would this be at all possible for him to do? Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tell him to get his C&R license. He can simply go and pick it up and sign it into his C&R log book. Any idea of when it's shipping? C&R licenses are pretty quick.
The rifle is in Memphis and is stuck because of some delay with fedex, so not actual delivery date but if I had to guess probably next week.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Oh that is too fast for a C&R license. I thought CMP was back logged for months now with orders, giving him time to get one. I still suggest getting one as you can get discounts at stores and have older guns shipped to your home with no transfer fees or middle man. 30 dollars for the license

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
At the worst case scenario the ffl might have to do the nics check on you then after the rifle is yours then do your buddy after the transfer.
jim

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If the rifle is being shipped to the ffl in your name then its transferred to you. Whomever its addressed to is the buyer, I would write a bill of sale between you and your friend as a private sale and once you conplete the transaction you could private sale it usibg the dealer. The dealer needs reassurance that its not a straw purchase which it wouldn't be because you are the buyer and filling out the 4473 and getting the nics check done then you guys are doing a private sale and your friend is going to do the same. I would just reference for the dealer that you are selling it due to financial constraints. Do it that way it is fine, do it with your name as buyer and receiving from cmp and him filling out paperwork, not fine. Just a little extra paperwork but do it right and everbody is happy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.