New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finishing up my broome county permit (yes if you do a search you'll I started this back in Oct of last year, life got in the way a bit and we thought we were going to have to move back to a red county, so the permit has been on hold)

anyway, I understand that the path to unrestricted includes attaching a letter to the judge, and taking a course, I was wondering if anyone had advice on what the judge is looking for in the letter, I feel I have just cause to carry, but the judge might not see it that way. If you have any questions or advice please feel free to PM me.

and thanks in advance

·
Registered
161 Posts
the judge is looking for reasonable cause and responsible attitude.
I highly recommend the course by Rochester Personal Defense,
it's both informative and fun. Well worth the money.
My wife and I have taken several classes and are looking forward to more.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is that the same one that is taught by a member on this forum? if so I think that is the one I was looking into, although if I was being honest I would prefer not having to take a course, but if I was being honest again, it beats a restricted permit, with no path to unrestricted.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
If you want unrestricted in Broome you need to take the course. Yes he is the member here that you are speaking of. The reasons to carry should not be for self defense and your 2nd amendment right because he will deny you. You need to take the course first then copy the certificate of that course and send it along with the letter to judge Cawley. If you get denied DO NOT WORRY, you will actually have an appointment with the judge and speak with him face to face. I met the judge years ago before I even owned any firearms and he is a reasonable guy.

James

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
James,

thank you a ton for the info, I was wondering that exactly, so do I take the course prior to submitting my application? Or after I get the restricted one? and then forward my certificate, with my letter?

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
James,

thank you a ton for the info, I was wondering that exactly, so do I take the course prior to submitting my application? Or after I get the restricted one? and then forward my certificate, with my letter?
Take your course before you get your restricted permit. If you already had your permit then of course take the course to get your CCW permit.

James

·
Registered
161 Posts
regardless of the certificate, the class is worthwhile for the instruction and practice.
you will need your restricted first anyway in order to handle a handgun at all in NY.

check www.safeinrochester.com for info on the classes, well worth it !!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't doubt the class is worthwhile, and well run, I just regret my expert M9 Qual, and countless range hours have no factor in this, and I wince a little at $175 the course costs. But I look forward to taking it and have heard many good things about it.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I don't doubt the class is worthwhile, and well run, I just regret my expert M9 Qual, and countless range hours have no factor in this, and I wince a little at $175 the course costs. But I look forward to taking it and have heard many good things about it.
The RPD class will also cover article 35 (use of force/deadly force laws) which your military training probably didn't cover. Different rules for civilians and in NYS.

It sounds expensive but it's well worth the cost.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The RPD class will also cover article 35 (use of force/deadly force laws) which your military training probably didn't cover. Different rules for civilians and in NYS.

It sounds expensive but it's well worth the cost.
True enough, fair point,

Although the LOAC is pretty restrictive.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My wife and I took the upgrade class from RPD. It was a great class. There is live fire training so you will need to have your restricted permit first. The guys at RPD are great and will give you pointers and help you write the letter to the judge. Mike from RPD told us he can proof read your letter before you submit it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I also took the RPD class from Mike. I highly recommend this class or any other classes from RPD. This was the first program that was approved by judge Cawley to lift the restrictions as it was explained to me. They cover the process from start to finish of how to get an unrestricted permit. They also go over legal info, range time... I received my unrestricted permit about one month after sending in my letter. The reason I wanted my restrictions removed was camping/hiking and self defense. You will need your restricted permit first.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts