New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Broome Co hunters been seeing any black bears around ? Other than downtown Endicott and Front St Binghamton lol. I haven't seen anything the past few years but have been looking to take one. I know a few get taken every year but I have no idea where they are being found. Before the DEC opened season on them here a guy down the road had his bee hives shredded by a bear, hasn't been seen since.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
I see them on the north side of Endicott once in awhile. None recently though. I have seen a bunch in Tioga co also.

· Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, sounds kinda promising if I hunt the right areas then. I used to know a guy in Kirkwood up in the hills and he seen them a lot, but he moved away from the area. When I was around 13 or 14 we had bears in Upper Lisle where I grew up but haven't seen them since, 30 years ago now :-(
I'm determined to take one with handgun, if I get a chance.

Windsor has bunch. big boogers too. one looks few pounds shy of a VW beetle
Ohhhh...nice, that would be sweet.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
I just had my pumpkins destroyed by something. These were 20-30 pound pumpkins. I'm thinking it could be the bear I have seen in the past. Anyone know if bears like pumpkins? haha

· Registered
2,866 Posts
I just had my pumpkins destroyed by something. These were 20-30 pound pumpkins. I'm thinking it could be the bear I have seen in the past. Anyone know if bears like pumpkins? haha
My experience with bears says that they like to drag their food somewhere comfortable. Not far, and not always, but if you find pumpkins a hundred or two feet away from the patch, that indicates bear.

One raided my garbage can and dragged one of the bags halfway up the hill for a picnic, heh.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
My experience with bears says that they like to drag their food somewhere comfortable. Not far, and not always, but if you find pumpkins a hundred or two feet away from the patch, that indicates bear.

One raided my garbage can and dragged one of the bags halfway up the hill for a picnic, heh.
Some were smashed and just the bottom was left. Others were just gone. These were good sized ones. Ticked me off! I would put a camera out there but they are all gone. Doubt the will come back, this was about a week ago.

· Registered
2,866 Posts
Some were smashed and just the bottom was left. Others were just gone. These were good sized ones. Ticked me off! I would put a camera out there but they are all gone. Doubt the will come back, this was about a week ago.
Put some birdseed out, he'll be back. (Don't do this, it works WAY too well).

The amount of eating you're describing could be bear or deer. Check for deer hoof prints (or bear prints). When the last bear raided my garbage, he left "tracks" in the form of a huge claw scrape across my concrete step. That was... well, let's call it sobering.

· Registered
8,342 Posts
Put some birdseed out, he'll be back. (Don't do this, it works WAY too well).

The amount of eating you're describing could be bear or deer. Check for deer hoof prints (or bear prints). When the last bear raided my garbage, he left "tracks" in the form of a huge claw scrape across my concrete step. That was... well, let's call it sobering.
The pumpkin patch is on the lawn. No prints around. The deer mostly go after the apple trees. It just seemed odd that whatever did this waited until most of the pumpkins were large, or they are really hungry now. Maybe getting ready for winter. Last year I saw lots of garbage dragged out into the woods and bear crap all over. In years past I have seen a few big bear wandering around in the evening. This is in Tioga county. I'm putting a few cameras up soon. Maybe the thief will return!

· Registered
3,557 Posts
ECU
I think it was Inbreds, Holloween is their favorite holiday of the year! It's the only day they get to pump-kin.

QUOTE=ECU Pirates;631442]I just had my pumpkins destroyed by something. These were 20-30 pound pumpkins. I'm thinking it could be the bear I have seen in the past. Anyone know if bears like pumpkins? haha[/QUOTE]

· Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Wish I was in your positions here in Broome, I'd love to have a couple bears around my place. Even if I don't get to shoot a big one I'd like to shoot one with my camera.

· Registered
1,775 Posts
I expect I'll catch flak for this, but I don't get the attraction to hunting. The stalking and tracking, I get. Putting food on the table, I understand. But shooting something with a gun seems such an unfair advantage as to render the kill pointless, aside from honing one's shooting skills. I can better understand taking a dangerous animal by hand, or even with a bow and arrow (especially if the hunter does not have a back up gun). Then it's more of a primal sort of encounter. I hope to take part in some hunting over the next year in order to have a more informed position.

· Registered
1,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No need for flack over an opinion. Everyone views things differently and hunts differently. I feel that if I'm not meant to take a certain deer, it won't happen. Some times I'll let 30 deer go by in a season before I see one that I 'feel' is right. Last year I took a small buck that was wounded already. I saw he wasn't walking right, either shot by someone else or been hit by a car, so he was the right one for me. Turned out he was shot in the front left shoulder and it was infected. I gave up shotgun hunting 15 years ago and hunt with an Encore muzzle loader, rifle and pistol. Or a revolver. So I need to be very sure of my shots.
There are a lot of hunters around where I live that are only in it for the rush of a kill and that makes me sick, they don't have a drop of ethics flowing through their blood.

· Registered
2,866 Posts
I expect I'll catch flak for this, but I don't get the attraction to hunting. The stalking and tracking, I get. Putting food on the table, I understand. But shooting something with a gun seems such an unfair advantage as to render the kill pointless, aside from honing one's shooting skills. I can better understand taking a dangerous animal by hand, or even with a bow and arrow (especially if the hunter does not have a back up gun). Then it's more of a primal sort of encounter. I hope to take part in some hunting over the next year in order to have a more informed position.
There's a lot of reasons we use guns instead of more primitive weapons like knives and rocks (today's bows are anything but primitive). For starters, a gun is generally a more humane way to die. Given the choice, I rather get shot than have some ******* jump out of a tree and attempt to bludgeon me to death.

There's also the success factor. If you want to put food on the table in a dependable manner, you want to maximize your chances of success. Turkeys are rather weak animals, killing one with your bare hands is not difficult. CATCHING them in order to do so is a whole different story. Even if you're not eating the kill - coyotes, for example - you want to maximize your chance of success because you're trying to control a pest issue.

· Registered
1,775 Posts
I was unclear- I understand and agree with hunting for food in the most efficient and effective manner. Obviously that is with a gun. My point was that I don't get the attraction to "killing for killing's sake" that some people seem to exhibit. Your points are well taken.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.