New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mother in Maryland has my grandfather's WWII-era service rifle (or that's what I've always been told it was) that she wants me to have.

I'm pretty clueless as to what laws would apply here. I don't think she could mail it up without sending it to someone with an FFL, but could I throw it in the trunk and drive it back up to NY?

Would I have to put any kind of lock on it or disassemble it? There's no ammo that would be coming with it.

Also, I'd be driving it through Pennsylvania obviously, which I've always known to have pretty weird laws (ex, I do know it's illegal to transport a hedgehog through the state). Any trouble there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thinking about it, this is a simple enough question and I just needed to do my homework.

Transport of a rifle through PA is legal as long as it's not loaded:

Transportation of Firearms in Pennsylvania - NFA Gun Trust Lawyer Blog

Rifles can be obtained out of state and brought into NY provided you can legally own them here:

NYS Gun Laws | NY Firearms - New York Firearm & Gun Ownership, Laws, Politics, Weapons | NY Firearms

It seems the key is unloaded and ammo stored separately, which is a non-issue as I don't have ammo for it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Express overnight UPS with adult signature required is also an option. Check out the UPS policies:

UPS: Shipping Firearms

·
Registered
253 Posts
I know this thread is old. But I will offer up what I know:

You can ship the rifle to yourself USPS, Fedex or UPS. Provided it's legal for you to own and possess is both places. I often do this when I go hunting or shooting in places that I must fly into. If your mother ships it, it must go to your FFL (she does not have to use an FFL, only you)

You can also transport it yourself. The interstate ban only applies to handguns.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts