New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats with this "break-in" stuff, should I shoot 5 rounds, then clean the barrel, shoot 5 more, then clean the barrel, shoot 5 more...ect. ect

I don't think I have ever "broke-in" a barrel before? whats this all about

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Do whatever your manufacturer says so that if the barrel doesn't shoot right, you can complain and get a new one.

If it's a commercial barrel and not something custom or match grade then just shoot it. Break-in is a bunch of crap for most barrels.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do whatever your manufacturer says so that if the barrel doesn't shoot right, you can complain and get a new one.

If it's a commercial barrel and not something custom or match grade then just shoot it. Break-in is a bunch of crap for most barrels.
thats what I thought, the manual doesn't say anything about a break-in period ???? but some guys seem to think it's of paramount importance to shoot and clean,shoot and clean, otherwise "long range shooting will be affected"

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think 500 rounds is a good amount for most people in determining the fit and function of your gun. If it has any "teething" problems, they are likely to occur within those 500 rounds. For me though, I'm more comfortable with 1,000.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think 500 rounds is a good amount for most people in determining the fit and function of your gun. If it has any "teething" problems, they are likely to occur within those 500 rounds. For me though, I'm more comfortable with 1,000.
do you clean the barrel after every round, or every 5 rounds or every 100 rounds

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
What kind of barrel are we talking here? Chrome lined AR-15? Factory remington 700? Something different?

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
While I tend to agree with Jeff I also don't believe following a breakin procedure can hurt and actually may help you keep the barrel clean over the life of the gun. Here is an article I posted in another thread that explains why Break-In & Cleaning. Bottom line do I think its necessary? No. Will I follow a simple break-in on my new rifles? Absolutely! Good luck whatever you decide to do with yours.

G

·
And never forget......if you spill salt take a pinch and throw it over your left shoulder.

...or is that the right shoulder?

Don't anger the gods.

·
Registered
167 Posts
do you clean the barrel after every round, or every 5 rounds or every 100 rounds
After 500 rounds or so, I give the entire upper receiver group of my AR 15 a good cleaning, including the barrel. I pour some solvent down the barrel and let it sit for a half-hour to let the solvents break up any carbon fouling. I then run a bore snake down the barrel three times, and finally, push some cleaning patches down the barrel (one way, never back and forth) until the patches come out dry and reasonably clean. It doesn't have to be perfect, since all good barrels are chrome lined or at the very least treated with melonite.

AR 15's aren't designed to be range queens. They were designed for combat, and if you've got a good one, they really don't require a whole lot of care other than the basics. I treat all of my guns with the same level of maintenance, even my converted Saiga 7.62x39 (an AK), and I never have problems with any of them that aren't a direct result of my stupidity. My AR 15 is my favorite though and I would trust it entirely with my life should, God forbid, there came a time that I would have to.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
When you get a new gun shoot it. If it functions well, keep shooting it.

Clean as needed.

I think the only guys who should even consider a barrel break in are high level competitors who know what they just bought, and know how to get the most out of it. For the average Joe, gaining 1/64 moa isn't going to do crap, and it will probably wear out your barrel faster.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Personally, I only "break in" barrels that are not chrome-lined. For my 700, I gave it a very quick, brief break in consisting of running an oiled barrel snake through every 5rds until I went through a box of ammo, and the next time I was shooting I was doing as little as 1/3 MOA @ 300yds. Your results may vary, of course.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Unless its a stainless target barrel, just do a quick clean/oil and shoot it. Normal barrels don't need a fancy break in. I take a new ar to the range and shoot it till it's dirty enough to malfunction then clean it and do it again. Have fun

Even my rimfire rifles with stainless barrels I never did a break in on them either. I cleaned/lubed then and went to the range with them. I shot them at a medium pace and cleaned after I got home and they shoot fine. Now I just Alan them when they get dirty. I get home from range and run an oil patch threw the barrel just to keep it wet and on the rack it goes.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I just finished breaking in my new stainless AR-15 barrel. I shot about 300 rounds through it. Now I think I will clean it.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
I don't even remember the last time i cleaned my stainless target barrel. I think when I bought it. I should probably clean it!

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
I clean my carry pistols
my rifles I typically clean if they look real gunked up or start to malfunction.
If I shoot corrosive ammo I clean it within hours...

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What kind of barrel are we talking here? Chrome lined AR-15? Factory remington 700? Something different?
From the owners manual:

Barrels on Windham Weaponry models are Chrome Lined 4150 Chrome Moly Vanadium 11595E steel. They are 100% air gauged, bore scoped, head spaced and button rifled- right hand twist with 6 lands and groves. Refer to barrel markings for twist rate and caliber.
my barrel is stamped ****5.56 1/9****

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
If it were mine, I would just shoot it. Clean it when the groups start to open up or if you know you're going to take it out to shoot a lot, like a class or something.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
This is from John Holliger,the founder and owner of White Oak Armament...

Q: How should I break in my barrel?
A: I suspect that more barrels have been damaged than helped by "breaking in". Barrel makers take a lot of care to get a uniform finish on the inside of a barrel. Barrels are lapped not so that they will be smooth, but so that the finish and dimensions will be uniform over the entire barrel. When you use an abrasive cleaning compound you will change the finish on the inside of the barrel. Since some areas of the barrel are going to be protected by copper that you are trying to remove, and others areas are not, the surface finish is no longer going to be uniform. Since I got a bore scope I have backed off on my use of abrasive bore cleaners. I use them, but not nearly as aggressively, particularly on a new barrel.

My personal break in procedure is to take a new upper to the range and zero the front sight and shoot a group or two. This will take about 15-20 rounds. I then bring it back to the shop and clean it good with shooters and a good quality brush. I check it with a bore scope, but generally very little copper fouling is present. Depending on how it looks I may hit the throat lightly with some JB. That's it, it is now broken in.This is for all for good quality hand lapped barrels. I will get a little more aggressive with mass produced barrels.​

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats good info, thanx for printing that.

what I did over the weekend was to shoot one round and run a plain, clean, bore snake down the barrel. I shot 10 rounds like that. I did not use any cleaning agents. I did oil the crap out of the gun though, LOL

I then shot 10 rounds through the gun and ran the bore snake down the barrel. Then I shot 20 rounds through the gun, simply because I was laughing and having such a great time, I just couldn't help myself. Then I put the gun back in the case and brought it home for a good, through cleaning with a little Nitro #9 and some oil.

I have to admit, the stock trigger on a new AR SUX.

Next thing for the AR is a new trigger, I think something along the lines of about 3 to 4 pounds would be just fine.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
thats good info, thanx for printing that.

what I did over the weekend was to shoot one round and run a plain, clean, bore snake down the barrel. I shot 10 rounds like that. I did not use any cleaning agents. I did oil the crap out of the gun though, LOL

I then shot 10 rounds through the gun and ran the bore snake down the barrel. Then I shot 20 rounds through the gun, simply because I was laughing and having such a great time, I just couldn't help myself. Then I put the gun back in the case and brought it home for a good, through cleaning with a little Nitro #9 and some oil.

I have to admit, the stock trigger on a new AR SUX.

Next thing for the AR is a new trigger, I think something along the lines of about 3 to 4 pounds would be just fine.
What brand fire control are you running buddy ???

1 - 20 of 25 Posts