New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First deer for me, have "hunted" up at our camp since I was 16 (25 now) never got a shot at a deer (they are pretty scarce in our area). First year I got to bow hunt, been out a bunch since Oct 1st and finally got her this evening.

Camouflage Military camouflage Military uniform Cargo pants Military person

· Registered
4,955 Posts
Congrats! Meat in the freezer. I hope I'm as fortunate once the regular season begins in November...

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh it will be a long time before I come out on top from meat to money spent on gear but my wife doesn't know that....I just explained there's this much meat now that we don't have to buy at the grocery store.

· I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
Congrats!! Those old doe aren't easy to fool!

· Registered
620 Posts
Nice shot. We never forget that first kill. congrat's.

· Registered
982 Posts
First deer for me, have "hunted" up at our camp since I was 16 (25 now) never got a shot at a deer (they are pretty scarce in our area). First year I got to bow hunt, been out a bunch since Oct 1st and finally got her this evening.

View attachment 12337
Congrats! How many yards? How far did she go? We need stats, man.

Your comment next to your avatar makes complete sense.

· Registered
1,603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here's the story end. Planned on leaving work a bit early and hunt the afternoon, got out of work later then I wanted, got set and was up in the tree around quarter after 4. I haven't been seeing to much activity, so my main purpose for the day was to get my stand set so I could just walk in to hunt this afternoon and Saturday morning...It was now 6:00 and I decided 15 more minutes and I was heading home (I knew I had a package of ammo that got delivered so I wanted to go put it away). Look over my left shoulder and see her behind me about 35 yards away. So I stood up, got my bow in hand and watched as she slowly walked towards my tree. There was a fatal error on her part as she approached, she went just slightly left towards a trail and then stepped behind some cover. I drew and she walked 2 steps and put her head down, a little over 15 yards broadside I shot.

I hit high just above vitals, just under spine from what I could tell. I was a bit upset at my shot. She ran about 40 yards and I saw her crash down, herd her try and get up and fall back down, didn't hear her try and get up again. (once I got her I checked where I hit and I ended up taking 1 lung on the shot)

I called my old man from the tree and explained it all (he's been hunting well before I was born) plus he had the pickup and I drive a small sedan civic.

I climbed down, put my bag where she was standing when I shot her and brought my stand out to my car to wait for him to come help me...He showed up, I got my bag we walked where I saw her go down, saw a little blood, and after a few minutes my head light lit her eyes up. She couldn't get back up and was kicking a little so another arrow.

He did the gutting quick because it was now dark and we dragged her out, blood all over me is from lifting her into the truck.

· The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
She couldn't get back up and was kicking a little so another arrow.
I hit one a few years back right in the spine. The spine broke, and she kept kicking. I had to get down and shoot her again from a couple yards away.

Nice job. Do you find that you like bow hunting more than gun? I definitely feel that way.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.