New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm new to the forum, names Steve and live in Westchester. I just have a couple questions. I bought a Beretta in Pennsylvania and they said i need to have it shipped to a gun dealer here. After reading up on things I realized there are a few process' to actually go through to be able to leave the store with the gun but there are a lot of things that don't agree. Just want a clean cut description on what to do now. Also my father bought a non-NY complaint AR15 that he wants to give me, I have a pinned stock, pistol grip, pin-welded muzzle brake and no bayo lug. Do I have to register it in NY seeing how it's an assault rifle? Or does it follow the regular long gun laws(excluding the compliancy)? Thanks for the help guys.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Hey guys I'm new to the forum, names Steve and live in Westchester. I just have a couple questions. I bought a Beretta in Pennsylvania and they said i need to have it shipped to a gun dealer here. After reading up on things I realized there are a few process' to actually go through to be able to leave the store with the gun but there are a lot of things that don't agree. Just want a clean cut description on what to do now. Also my father bought a non-NY complaint AR15 that he wants to give me, I have a pinned stock, pistol grip, pin-welded muzzle brake and no bayo lug. Do I have to register it in NY seeing how it's an assault rifle? Or does it follow the regular long gun laws(excluding the compliancy)? Thanks for the help guys.
Don't have to registrer rufles in NY unless you live in NYC or someplace that their laws apply

If the stock is pinned and the muzzle break is pinned and welded also the lug gone you have nothing to worry about
Just don't have any mags over 10 rounds that were made after the ban

the part about the pistol I don't want to comment on since I am not sure how that works beyond having it sent to an FFL near you

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
If it is a pinned stock, pinned brake, and no bay lug then you would have a NY compliant gun. 30rd mags are illegal though unless you have pre-ban mags.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Do you have a NY state Pistol Permit? If not you need to get one, than have the Beretta sent to a NY FFL holder to transfer to you. Unless you Establish residency in Pa, your not walking out of the store with a hand gun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea I have the 10 round mags, forgot to post that. Any specific process to transfer the AR to me? Also, no I don't have a NYS pistol permit, process and length of receiving it?

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
None of this makes sense. Who, how or why would someone buy a handgun without having a permit in ny? It could be a year in westchester before you can have the firearm. Get your deposit back.... What store would even deal with you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Didn't realize a permit was mandatory to just own a handgun in NY until I looked into it further, buying the gun was compulsive because of the price. Obviously jumped the gun with this and beileved the dealer knew what they were talking about because I've seen them sell to people from NY and asked them what the process was before confirming it with a NY dealer.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Report the dealer to the atf for being a moron. In NY you cannot even touch a handgun without a permit.

·
Banned
95 Posts
Yea I have the 10 round mags, forgot to post that. Any specific process to transfer the AR to me? Also, no I don't have a NYS pistol permit, process and length of receiving it?
You don't seem to understand that it is just a rifle
If someone gave you a rifle bring it home lol

·
Banned
95 Posts
Report the dealer to the atf for being a moron. In NY you cannot even touch a handgun without a permit.
But there is no atf law about selling someone a pistol with a permit lol I don't seem to see how they would care especially since the dealer still has the gun

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
Few questions...
- did you put a deposit down on the Beretta, or pay for it in full?
- is this a legit gun shop?
- what made you think the AR was non-compliant in NY?
- is your father in NY?

Also, check up on rifle restrictions/regulations for Westchester.

BTW, what model Beretta and what was so attractive about the price?

And oh yeah, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Few questions...
- did you put a deposit down on the Beretta, or pay for it in full?
- is this a legit gun shop?
- what made you think the AR was non-compliant in NY?
- is your father in NY?

Also, check up on rifle restrictions/regulations for Westchester.

BTW, what model Beretta and what was so attractive about the price?

And oh yeah, welcome to the forum!
Deposit half, have til the end of the month to pay it off.
Yes, Dunklebergers, from what I know they are a legitimate shop but never asked to see paperwork or anything else to clarify.
After looking stuff up and calling a couple gun shops in WC they gave me a list of what it has to have(technically not have) for the AR to be NY compliant
No, my father lives down in PA, thats how i hear about certain guns I look for.
Used Beretta 92fs INOX for $430, hopefully after everything is settled with getting it to NY, around $550 which I don't think is too bad seeing how it doesn't look like 50 shots were out of it.

And thanks, I see it'll be a big help being apart of it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the welcome and help guys. I called a FFl dealer in Westchester and he said I can buy the gun and have it shipped to him and it'll be kept until I take a safety course and my paperwork goes though, said it usually takes 4-6 months to process, but after that I'm good to go. Thanks again everyone.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts