New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sheriff Maciol: Homemade bomb remnants turned in to police | NBC-WKTV News Channel 2 - Utica News, Weather, Sports - | Crime Reports

Come on really? As a kid we used to make tin foil chemical "bombs" and even small molotovs. Granted we never put ammunition in any of them. How did these kids even get ahold of ammunition? Bad locks or no locks.

At any rate kids have been making "bombs" out of 2 litres for years.

next report will read " Kids playing hide and seek at night, the scourge of america"

·
Registered
725 Posts
That wasn't even a good try........ We used to crack concrete blocks with the stuff we made from the chem lab in H.S. even made elect detonators so we didn't have to be near it when it went off. We were on the hall monitors ten most wanted list :)

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,679 Posts
I feel like a responsible parent understands a child's natural curiosity and show them safe ways to experiment. My dad was a math genius. So chemistry goes with that. He used to humour our interest alllll the time with stuff that fizzed and blew up, etc. He added stuff to our fireplace that changed the color of the flames, and fun stuff all the time. Because of that, and knowing my parents would have killed me if I did anything stupid I would have never tried these things without him. And my curiosity to do so was satiated. If I wanted to build something nasty I ran it by my dad who told me why I would blow my head off or he helped me so I wouldn't put anyone in danger.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I feel like a responsible parent understands a child's natural curiosity and show them safe ways to experiment. My dad was a math genius. So chemistry goes with that. He used to humour our interest alllll the time with stuff that fizzed and blew up, etc. He added stuff to our fireplace that changed the color of the flames, and fun stuff all the time. Because of that, and knowing my parents would have killed me if I did anything stupid I would have never tried these things without him. And my curiosity to do so was satiated. If I wanted to build something nasty I ran it by my dad who told me why I would blow my head off or he helped me so I wouldn't put anyone in danger.
As a parent and an uncle I do the same....my nieces come to me with questions about how certain metals react with each other. Besides it makes me feel better to educate them FULLY before attempting anything first

·
Registered
459 Posts
That wasn't even a good try........ We used to crack concrete blocks with the stuff we made from the chem lab in H.S. even made elect detonators so we didn't have to be near it when it went off. We were on the hall monitors ten most wanted list :)
I'm with on this one we made so many powerfull pipe bombs as kids and I don't want to tell you all what we used for powder but you can buy it all in most stores. We had a local guy that sold dynamite and we got waterproof fuze from him. Today I would have ended up in jail or on the no-fly list. I'm real lucky I have all my fingers both eyes and my hearing and alive. Lots of scrap iron in Keuka outlet because of us.

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
My dad stopped me from doing exactly one thing growing up. I had one of those balsa wood airplanes (one with the wheels and wind-up propeller) with an Estes Rocket Engine taped to the top of it. It was in the middle of the road and ready to take off when he put a halt to it. he must have been having a bad day because it seemed like something he would help me do. Maybe he was concerned about the fire in would have likely caused.

Other than that I was allowed to do some pretty awesome stuff. And when I became an adult my dad told me about all the stuff him and his buddies used to do.

That topic needs it's own thread!! - Crazy stuff you did as a kid. EDIT: I started that thread.

·
Premium Member
436 Posts
I did some real "dumb" things as a kid, bu useing live ammo was not one of them

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.