New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on a 24" upper for my AR right now but I'm curious if taking the gas system off and plugging it up would make it work similar to a bolt action? I've been looking into swapping out the spikes upper that's on there now with the Mega side charging upper. So would that work or should I stay out of the heat? haha

·
Registered
913 Posts
at that point why not just buy a 700. bolt action ar thats a new one to me. how would you lock the bolt down? seems like more of a headache thinking about getting it to work

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The only bolt action AR I've seen was the one with the .50 cal. upper. Looked a little silly.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
I'm curious if taking the gas system off and plugging it up would make it work similar to a bolt action?
It works like a botl action even with the gas system in place.
You shoot, rounds goes down range, bolt unlocks, (yes, the bullet has left the barrel before the full unlock has occured), retracts, ejects, comes forward feeding next round, locks and is ready for another trigger pull.
(several steps skipped obviously but the relevant stuff is there)

The only thing that'll be different if you remove the gas system is you'll be doing the extract and feed stuff manually.
Lock and unlock are functions of carrier motion so would occur automatically as the other stuff was going on.

Well, you could do the rear motion yourself then let go of the handle and let the buffer and action spring move the bolt forward again of course.

IOW, you'll literally be gaining nothing.
(presuming using a caliber that cannot mag feed anyway, like the .50)

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Pure waste of time,money and effort.....Put those resources towards something realistic...:cool:

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
If you want to have your cake and eat it to, so to speak, there are a few gas blocks available that have a shut-off for running a suppressor. With one of those, you could switch off your gas system and shoot like a straight-pull bolt action, then turn it back on when that gets boring. You might be able to squeeze a hair more accuracy out of your rifle like that, at the expense of a slower rate of fire, or use it with reduced loads, but other than that I'm not quite sure why you'd want to.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Orrrrr.......It might look something like this eventually.......LMAO !!!!!

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I would be gaining a bit more accuracy if it worked
On the contrary your not going to do anything "if it worked" more than a standard bolt action rifle will do,other than be a unique rifle but it's going to cost you....<sigh>

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
the ar is accurate enough semi auto and you dont need to drive tacks when you have a full magazine of lead flying down range as fast as you can pull the trigger

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I think one big thing you are gaining in NY with this starts with an AW and ends with a B. In free states you might not be gaining anything, but here you in fact are...

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
I think one big thing you are gaining in NY with this starts with an AW and ends with a B. In free states you might not be gaining anything, but here you in fact are...
If your idea of gaining is sacrificing function and purpose for an adjustable stock, flash hider, and a bayonet, then sure, I guess you're right.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Then why bother? You can get a 700 SPS Tactical in .223/5.56 for $600 all day long.

If you're going to be swapping uppers with a semi-auto, then you would still need to pin the stock.

Just trying to be practical, so take my advice however you'd like because after all, it's not my wallet that's being affected.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
If your idea of gaining is sacrificing function and purpose for an adjustable stock, flash hider, and a bayonet, then sure, I guess you're right.
I'm not the one building it. Some people want it for looks. Kind of like getting some of the older "pre-ban" mags that may not be as good as the new mags just because they hold 30 rounds.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts