New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just read this on another forum and with the source listed I was surpised...

"According to the Wilderness Medical Society, water temperatures above 160° F (70° C) kill all pathogens within 30 minutes and above 185° F (85° C) within a few minutes. So in the time it takes for the water to reach the boiling point (212° F or 100° C) from 160° F (70° C), all pathogens will be killed, even at high altitude."

Source: OA Guide to Water Purification

Good to know in case the zombies attack and drinking water is needed after skull exploting fun is on standby.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
That's actually a major point in survival manuals and courses. Don't waste fuel (And water) by boiling water for 10 minutes, it's pathogen free as soon as it reaches a boil.

On the other hand, no amount of boiling will rid water of chemicals and waste. For that you need a filter.

(Of course, FEMA, disaster geniuses that they are, recommend 1 full minute at a boil.)

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
I've boiled water to drink. No matter how clear it looks it still tastes gross. At least it won't give you the trots though.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I have a nice pump filter, and I bring lots of Propel powder, because the water tastes flat after being filtered. (Ah, who am I kidding, I don't like water without flavoring. Yucky!)

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I believe the opposite would be true as well - cold water not being able to support pathogens, though I suppose they could just be dormant...

·
Head of Bacon Operations
3,589 Posts
I asked my dad, he froze some skanky dishwater and said "drink it, it's safe." I think his point would be the freezing just makes the particles not swim as fast. And that he has been looking for subtle ways to kill me for years.
/help me
/the sarcasm, it's rampant in this house

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
I believe the opposite would be true as well - cold water not being able to support pathogens, though I suppose they could just be dormant...
It'd have to be really cold to kill off all the bacteria. As in, a lot colder than just being frozen. The kind of cold you wouldn't be able to achieve in a survival situation.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
more thinking that bacteria can't grow in cold water so it is more safe than the puddle sitting in the sun ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts