New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
NG Buderus G124 and ergomax water heater installed ten years ago. We moved in seven years ago and since they had hard brackish water we immediately installed a full house reverse osmosis system. The discharge was too much for the septic tank and 3 to 4 years later we had a new well drilled along with adding a water softener. Alkalinity of 200 to 220 and pH of 9.5 with the newer system. hardness is still 2 to 3 grains.
One of the pressure release valves was dripping very slowly and another was a fast drip that caused me to have them replaced. They ended up replacing three of the valves along with the spirovent and also the expansion tank that was flat. Ever since then we get a Kettling or other type of knocking noise that carries throughout the house. The contractor flushed the system three times using detergent and water was clean each time. They allegedly called the manufacturer and they said that they have to replace the boiler and also recommended the heater since one is bad the other will go bad.
I have to request into another contractor and after at least a week he has not called me. So he is getting a call Monday morning. Any ideas on this? They continue to say it's old sediment in the system.

Also to note, after they replaced all those parts I had parts of one zone on the first floor locking up and not having any heat. I used the bleeder valves on the registers several times to get rid of the air and it worked fine after that. we have two heating zones and a third for domestic hot water. Pumps/circ are fine. No noises vibrations or anything else other than the kettling. Occurs when any zone is working, it is surely straight from the boiler.

·
Registered
195 Posts
They only flushed the system with detergent and water? It's going to take some chemicals to remove the scale, there should be someone in the area that has the equipment and know how to do it.

Also white vinegar circulating through the system for a few hours followed by a good flushing and then refilling testing to see if it has the desired results. Then if all is well I would drain and fill the system up with distilled water to stop further scale build up.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some "boiler detergent"
they used to use muriatic acid but quit doing that due to the PITA for disposal.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
What are you driving, a Maybach or a Bentley? ;)

I'm too cheap for a Buderus, but damn they make some nice systems.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
doc, can you describe "ketteling " a little better, not sure what you mean by it. buderus's are a little tricky to troubleshoot without being there watching them run, nice units but complex compared to other brands. sounds like it could be a couple things, boiler could be partially plugged and possibly getting air into the zones somehow.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What time will you be here? LOL.

It is
Ping pang boom crack repeat from back of furnace and you hear it travel through the pipes throughout the house. I'm a light sleeper and so is my four year old. F F Collis diagnosed it after being here way too many times. They surely introduced air into the system when they backflushed or power flushed with their little pump. Then it locked up three rooms until I bled them several times.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
What time will you be here? LOL. It is Ping pang boom crack repeat from back of furnace and you hear it travel through the pipes throughout the house. I'm a light sleeper and so is my four year old. F F Collis diagnosed it after being here way too many times. They surely introduced air into the system when they backflushed or power flushed with their little pump. Then it locked up three rooms until I bled them several times.
sorry i'm just getting back to you doc, been busy. how's the boiler been running ? you still getting the hammering through the pipework since you bled it out ?

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No worries. Bled it a long time ago. No change at all in sound. Certainly coming from fire box/chamber.
Had a new company come yesterday. He feels the system needs to be flushed and I agree.
Old well was **** water. New well drilled two years ago and I asked my furnace company if we should flush the system and they said to leave it alone. This guy disagrees and is looking at a different boiler treatment chemical and flushing the system to go from there. Everything was fine until they replaced the blow off valve on the water heater, furnace, expansion tank and the spirovent. That's when this all started.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
No worries. Bled it a long time ago. No change at all in sound. Certainly coming from fire box/chamber. Had a new company come yesterday. He feels the system needs to be flushed and I agree. Old well was **** water. New well drilled two years ago and I asked my furnace company if we should flush the system and they said to leave it alone. This guy disagrees and is looking at a different boiler treatment chemical and flushing the system to go from there. Everything was fine until they replaced the blow off valve on the water heater, furnace, expansion tank and the spirovent. That's when this all started.
wish you were closer, i'd come take a look for you, it's tuff trying to troubleshoot without actually seeing what the unit's doing.. the chem flush should help in getting the buildup out of the exchanger, your familiar with the bleeding process and will have to do it after the flush when you refill the system.. the noise in the firebox could be the high & low fire settings for the burner or the burner itself may need to be adjusted, if the guy looking at it pulls the burner to check it make sure he checks the firebox itself for any cracks.

·
Registered
5,053 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Appreciate it. The noise from the box is what is resonating up through the pipes and through the house. I will try to get a recording.
They are going to do a fernox treatment. Not sure which one. I think the last company did the lowest level but didn't flush out all the baseboard pipes and everything else. I think they isolated the boiler and just watch that. Don't know enough about it, I read so much my head is spinning.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts