New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always thought of having a BOB, but I have no idea of what needs to be in there. Any suggestions would be awesome. Does any company specifically make a general BOB?

·
Registered
108 Posts
There are tons of videos on youtube for your viewing pleasure.

The basics would be 3 days worth of Food,Shelter,Water,Protection for each person.
People can be pretty creative with them. Just try to pack as light as you can and use comon sense. Don't pack 3 days worth of canned food or a 100 pount tent. lol

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
There are companies that sell them. They aren't tailored to your individual need though. How far do you need to get to your bug out location? Can you easily drive there? What if you had to walk? Is there water on the way? Can you fish? Is it the summer or winter? Do you have kids that need to go with you? All of these questions will determine what you need in your BOB. Everyone's bag is a bit different.

·
Banned
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are companies that sell them. They aren't tailored to your individual need though. How far do you need to get to your bug out location? Can you easily drive there? What if you had to walk? Is there water on the way? Can you fish? Is it the summer or winter? Do you have kids that need to go with you? All of these questions will determine what you need in your BOB. Everyone's bag is a bit different.
Bug Out location? I guess I am done for. I only have a home, no money for a bug out location. Maybe I will just focus on a survival kit for the house instead. The more I think about it, if you have nowhere to go, what's the point of the bug out kit?

·
Registered
108 Posts
I would deffinately focus on Bug-In supplies first. Candles, as much food as you can practicaly store, water, ammo, etc.
A bugout location doesn't have to be owned by you necessarily. Think state land, or a friend that lives near natural water, or whatever may give you an advantage above your current location.
You ONLY want to Bug-Out if it is necessary. With that being said, when you do create a Bob, it should be geared toward situations that would force you to leave your home.
Example: If you are Bugging out because of looting/rioting. Focus more on wepons and ammo.
Try to keep the basics in the bag (food,shelter,fire making) and have room to supplement with whatever the situation calls for (loaded mags, extra clothes,etc.).

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
There is no reason to leave your house if you don't have to. I will certainly be leaving the Rochester area for a family's place ~30 miles away. That can be covered in two days on foot. So, I need to pack supplies to make it 2 days, plus whatever else I could comfortably carry. I wouldn't be leaving my house for state land though. It's not like you'll be able to stake out your own slice of land and start farming it. The number of people trying to find food will be ridiculous. If you have no place to go, stay home.

·
Rochester Personal Defense
193 Posts
Think simpler more essential items you'd need to get by for few days.
For example you are at work and the weather event keeps you from getting home.
Many bags overlook items like socks, underwear, prescription medications, toothpaste,,
I can find food and water so I don't load the pack down with a lot if it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
So everyone on the internet is doing it wrong then. Because that seems to be the standard.. What do you suggest Rambo? Don't bring anything and just shoot everyone?
All I need is a red headband and a machete. And maybe a couple of sticks I widdled into explosive arrows. I kid, I kid :)

·
Registered
810 Posts
I intend to stand my ground. I poured my heart and soul into my home and I will die with my home, wife and dog. But I can assure all that we will not die alone if and when that time comes.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I intend to stand my ground. I poured my heart and soul into my home and I will die with my home, wife and dog. But I can assure all that we will not die alone if and when that time comes.
Exacty!!!Just wished my home had a 360 degree view of a 1000 yards or more.....

G

·
Before you can begin assembling a kit or making a plan it’s critically important to conduct an analysis of the actual or notional situation you are or will be faced with.

The U.S. military uses a term, METT-T, which provides the basis upon which to build and carry out operational plans. METT-T is an acronym for Mission, Enemy, Terrain & weather, Troops and Time.

Whether you are assembling a BOB (Bug Out Bag), a GOOD Bag (Get Out Of Dodge), an INCH Bag (I’m Not Coming Home) or a Grab & Go bag you’ll need to first decide what your Mission will be, what opposition you might face, what terrain you’ll have to cross, what the weather might be like, whether or not you’ll be alone or have help and if there will be any time constraints.

There are a few general guide lines you’ll want to be aware of during the process;

Limit the total weight of the bag, gear and clothing to no more than 40-pounds.

Once you’ve assembled your kit; take it for a nice long walk. You’ll learn a lot about yourself and your kit, make adjustments accordingly.

Keep your kit innocuous in appearance. (Don’t go all GI Joe.) There are several reasons for this; most of all, if you don’t look threatening you are more likely to be treated as such.

Keep your kit current; refresh the water in your canteens, put fresh MRE’s in once each year, update according to season, etc.

Never cannibalize your kit for non-emergency uses. If you need to use a magnetic compass during a weekend at the lake, don’t take it from your kit buy another one.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Bug Out location? I guess I am done for. I only have a home, no money for a bug out location. Maybe I will just focus on a survival kit for the house instead. The more I think about it, if you have nowhere to go, what's the point of the bug out kit?
Your BOB can be used to get you home also. As for what you should have, think about what you might need for your task. If you dont know what you need you should learn survival techniques relevant to your surroundings and see what works best for you. Sites like this will give you the basic needs however just having them doesn't mean you know how to use them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts