New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, let's suppose someone bought a rowboat or canoe from a sporting goods store in 2011. Let's also suppose said individual paid cash. This person enjoyed rowing/paddling up and down creeks and across lakes and reveled in the health benefits, both mental and physical, associated with such activities. Now, let us suppose that two years have passed and this happy boat owner finds him/herself in possession of a neat little outboard motor. Naturally, the boat owner is immediately taken with the idea of cruising across the waves, the splash and spray glistening on sun-browned skin. Our hypothetical boat owner is aware that as soon as the motor is strapped to the boat, it needs to be registered with the Great State of New York. Well, our intrepid boat owner has the hull I.D. number, the MSO from the manufacturer, but does not have the receipt from the sporting goods store because it faded in to nothingness.

He/She has been told by the DMV that there needs to be some sort of proof of sales tax or a bill of sale so that taxes can be re-paid to the Great State of New York.

So, what is this weary boat owner to do?

Please help.

P.S. I hope you enjoyed the prose.

·
Registered
938 Posts
So, let's suppose someone bought a rowboat or canoe from a sporting goods store in 2011. Let's also suppose said individual paid cash. This person enjoyed rowing/paddling up and down creeks and across lakes and reveled in the health benefits, both mental and physical, associated with such activities. Now, let us suppose that two years have passed and this happy boat owner finds him/herself in possession of a neat little outboard motor. Naturally, the boat owner is immediately taken with the idea of cruising across the waves, the splash and spray glistening on sun-browned skin. Our hypothetical boat owner is aware that as soon as the motor is strapped to the boat, it needs to be registered with the Great State of New York. Well, our intrepid boat owner has the hull I.D. number, the MSO from the manufacturer, but does not have the receipt from the sporting goods store because it faded in to nothingness.

He/She has been told by the DMV that there needs to be some sort of proof of sales tax or a bill of sale so that taxes can be re-paid to the Great State of New York.

So, what is this weary boat owner to do?

Please help.

P.S. I hope you enjoyed the prose.
He would get a bill of sale from his buddy that he bought it from

·
Registered
13,297 Posts
Will the state accept an affidavit from you that you purchased the boat a couple years ago at a retail location paid the tax and now need to register it because you added a motor but you lost the receipt? Seems like this would happen frequently. Also isn't there an exclusion for small motors? I seem to recall not having to register a raft I bought a long time ago that had a small battery operated motor.

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
"the MSO from the manufacturer" <--- that would be your title and all you need is a "bill of sale" from the "person" you supposedly purchased this never before registered boat AND make sure said boat is RATED for the motor being installed. ;) Based on the fact it's an ancient 2 years old, I'd say it's worth like $34.58 ... or somewhere around there. LMAO

·
Registered
96 Posts
Easily done, as already suggested. I did this last year. Friend "sold" unregistered boat to me for $115. Gave me a signed receipt. I registered it the next day. Got charged reg fee + 8% sales tax. Installed my outboard and happily went fishing.

·
Registered
6,189 Posts
"the MSO from the manufacturer" <--- that would be your title and all you need is a "bill of sale" from the "person" you supposedly purchased this never before registered boat AND make sure said boat is RATED for the motor being installed. ;) Based on the fact it's an ancient 2 years old, I'd say it's worth like $34.58 ... or somewhere around there. LMAO
I gifted it to him. No worries!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.