New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Files used for metalworking are reputed to be a very good knife making steel, they'd not stand levering with.
Screwdriver 'mabe' though.

Why not just get/build a knife that has a screwdriver tip and suitable fold out pointed rod, or even main body shape, with strength enough to use as a light lever?

I hear leathermen tools are nice, and have a knife in them :)

Thinking about it, perhaps just standard blade steel, but play around with the tempering and annealing to get more suitable uses.
Kind of like a samuri sword that has two different hardnesses on the same blade so that it can retain a stupidly sharp edge, but not break when forces are applied to it.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I would like blade material recommendations. I seem to break the tips off my knives by using them as a screw driver or pry-bar : ).

The Kershaw is 1660 steal
The M&P is 4034 steal

Good read
Knife Steel FAQ
easy way to fix that, use a knife for cutting, use a screwdriver for screws and a pry bar for prying. problem solved!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I am a firm believer that things designed for many purposes do them all poorly. If you need an all in one I would have to say leatherman as well. a good quality knfe will not make a good screwdriver or a good prybar.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know i know..... Sometime things come up in the field and i don't have the 'correct' item for the job and i have to make due : )

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Get one of those steel 'self defence'; pens and make a screwdriver under the cap or on top end.

Always in your pocket, may still be able to retain ability to write, strong enough for a lever, has screwdriver, and looks good sticking out of a perpetrators chest or right eye.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Are there any knive out there with Lifetime Guarantee that even includes neglect? That would be the next best bet I guess

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I should note I am not looking for knife to use for a pry-bar : ) Maybe a knife with a stronger blade and i would like to step-up quality.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Are there any knive out there with Lifetime Guarantee that even includes neglect? That would be the next best bet I guess
Leatherman, but that is already a multi-tool anyway. :)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Johnnyfamous,
Stop using your good knives for screwdrivers!! Thats what a cheap pocket knife is for. LoL
Buy and keep accessible a swiss army knife or multi tool. Either one has multiple blades,straight and phillips drivers along with other tools in a compack pkg.
No, they are not to bulky to carry around with you either. Both come in a snap close sheath for your belt.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Mr. Knife is NOT the same as Mr. Prybar or Mr. Screwdriver. If you really need a knife you can occasionally pry with keep away from stainless steel blades. Carbon or tool steel blades will take the abuse. Stainless is brittle & breaks easily upon flexing.

·
Banned
105 Posts
There various school of thought. Personally I would get a pocket tool with a screwdriver, but on blads. Spyderco are usually pretty strong. The Kershaw usa needs work knife ( just the name) seems to hold up rather well. Gerber makes a couple nice knives but I have heard they break easy now adays.

Also can anyone tell me if spring assisted (not switchblades) are legal in NY. I sell them and dont want to put something in the classifieds if its not legal. I know expandable batons are not legal in New York or Jersey

·
Registered
599 Posts
There various school of thought. Personally I would get a pocket tool with a screwdriver, but on blads. Spyderco are usually pretty strong. The Kershaw usa needs work knife ( just the name) seems to hold up rather well. Gerber makes a couple nice knives but I have heard they break easy now adays.

Also can anyone tell me if spring assisted (not switchblades) are legal in NY. I sell them and dont want to put something in the classifieds if its not legal. I know expandable batons are not legal in New York or Jersey
I sell spring assisted at work. I have heard they are not legal in NYC though.

·
Registered
7,700 Posts
Yes switchblades are legal (while hunting and fishing)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts