New York Firearms Forum banner
21 - 40 of 56 Posts
I love these debates, they make me laugh. Who here wants to volunteer to let me shoot them with birdshot from 30ft away? Put on your leather jacket, your jeans, whatever makes you feel happy--just no body armor. Your usually not just shooting once, you would more than likely fire 2-3 rounds at the bad guy. Are there "better" choices? Yes. Would birdshot definitely ruin someones day if they got shot with it? Yes!
These kinds of POSTS always amuse me. "Well I'll bet you wouldn't get shot with it!" I wouldn't get shot with a .22 to prove a point. Doesn't mean I would use it for defense. I wouldn't volunteer to get clipped to death with nailclippers. Doesn't mean I'd choose that as a melee weapon.

I love these debates, they make me laugh. Who here wants to volunteer to let me shoot them with birdshot from 30ft away? Put on your leather jacket, your jeans, whatever makes you feel happy--just no body armor. Your usually not just shooting once, you would more than likely fire 2-3 rounds at the bad guy. Are there "better" choices? Yes. Would birdshot definitely ruin someones day if they got shot with it? Yes!
These "debates" don't make me laugh; they generally have the opposite effect on me.
The "volunteer to be shot" argument is fallacious and contributes nothing to the resolution of the question at hand.
Good luck with this.

These kinds of POSTS always amuse me. "Well I'll bet you wouldn't get shot with it!" I wouldn't get shot with a .22 to prove a point. Doesn't mean I would use it for defense. I wouldn't volunteer to get clipped to death with nailclippers. Doesn't mean I'd choose that as a melee weapon.
I am talking about guns, not nailclippers.

yeah, i agree that is a ridiculous argument.
it might ruin the BG's day but it might not stop the BG from causing serious harm to you or your family.

I'd like to have a better advantage in my own home than a "ruin your day" type of weapon.

While this is good in theory, it fails when you are dealing with an irrational person. You are asking us here on the board (sane people for the most part) if we want to be shot. The answer is no right minded sane person does period. The type of person that executes a home invasion does not fall into the same category as us.

We are not asking them if they want to be shot. They are in a whole different mindset than some guy reading a board. When it comes to you or them they are going to every damn thing they can to make sure it is not them. You should do the same and 7.5 shot you are leaving a lot on the table.

It was a 28 gauge. An aristocrat shotgun.
Did not know it was a 28ga.

If some guy breaks into you home on bath salts do you think bird shot will take care of it?
Do you think you will have time to determine what rounds to use?
I would take the advice given here, and move on. I have learned alot from this forum and will for a long time. No shame in learning.

a guy in a neighboring town to the one I grew up in shot someone twice with birdshot at pretty close range, the guy was hit over then entire upper region of his body and the guy who did the shooting admitted to aiming at his head. The guy that got shot wasn't even close to dead, in fact after he got shot, twice, he hopped on his 4 wheeler and drove off to escape the guy and then called the police. Birdshot for home defense wouldn't really work more then 3 feet away from what I have heard and seen, and and that range might as well baseball bat the dude in the head.

That's where I moved the posts from. It was a wanted thread. I moved the off topic posts to here.

no birdshot is not good for home defense

as for the people saying "would you let me shoot you with birdshot" or things of that nature.. No I wouldn't but I also wouldn't let you smack me with a wooden spoon... so are you going to start using a wooden spoon for home defense as well?

Birdshot will work sometimes if used at contact distances. Otherwise only use birdshot on birds.

But seriously now, haven't we discussed this topic extensively in other threads? Is the Search function broken?

What's being considered here is about as serious a matter as there is, this about life and death.

Would you take advice from a layman about your own cancer treatment? Of course not! Then why would you solicit advice on this equally grave subject from laymen. Seek professional advice.

Dave (RochPersDef) is about as professional as you're going to get here. Take it.
I respectfully disagree.

Good video, very much proves its effectiveness, I would still be more comfortable using a slight smaller buckshot round, like #2 or #3 if I'm worried about over penetration. Not all buckshot has to be 00.

If you shoot an intruder 2-3 times with birdshot (and score direct hits) and they still keep coming at you, then there is an issue. I haven't heard of any stories where someone was directly hit by birdshot and it didn't even faze them. If someone has some proof, please share.

If you shoot an intruder 2-3 times with birdshot (and score direct hits) and they still keep coming at you, then there is an issue. I haven't heard of any stories where someone was directly hit by birdshot and it didn't even faze them. If someone has some proof, please share.
If somebody is a direct threat to my life I dont want to just faze them... but thats just me

What if the intruder has a gun... I dont think birdshot is gonna stop them from using that gun it mite actually make them use it because they are now defending they're life when they only intended it to be a scare tactic

The proof is in that video dude, that is a big freaking hole, if that "only fazes" your target, that dude is hyped up on some heavy drugs and its likely there aren't many types of ammunition that would drop him. That said I would still rather go with buck myself.

As for Scars, I did get a #4 buckshot from a sporting goods store once for my 12 gauge, I picked it up cuz I hadnt been able to find ANY buckshot except for that one so I jumped on it. If someone was planning on defending their home with it I would say that they would probably just order it online and not target shoot so much with it.

You guys are missing the point. Birdshot can maim, injure or even kill someone. Would I use birdshot? NO! I loaded my shotgun with PDX1 & 00 Buckshot. These debates about shotgun load remind me of the handgun caliber debates.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.