New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states, I'm looking to see what piss people off, or just irritates them when it comes to guns and/or their owners?

For me:

When a gun is referred to as a weapon. A gun is not a weapon until it is being used as such. A gun used in a war situation: weapon. A gun used at target shooting: gun. I think it's something people need to get out of their systems as it gives the public the perception that we gun owners use our guns as weapons, even if we're just going to the range, or even hunting. Then the gun becomes a tool.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Whenever someone sweeps me with their firearm, and I yell at them, the typical repsonse is like nails on a chalkboard to me: "Whaaaat? It's not even loaded."

...famous last words...

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
As the title states, I'm looking to see what piss people off, or just irritates them when it comes to guns and/or their owners?

For me:

When a gun is referred to as a weapon. A gun is not a weapon until it is being used as such. A gun used in a war situation: weapon. A gun used at target shooting: gun. I think it's something people need to get out of their systems as it gives the public the perception that we gun owners use our guns as weapons, even if we're just going to the range, or even hunting. Then the gun becomes a tool.
after reading the title I thought for sure you were going to say when people refer to magazines as clips.

For me its people who talk like they know about a gun or guns and they are so blatantly wrong or misinformed and still try to tell you thats how it is.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
and...

Stupid people who own firearms. Just because you haven't been clinically determined to be mentally deficient (yet or ever) doesn't mean you can handle the responsibility of firearm ownership

·
Registered
3,212 Posts

For me:

Sorry but I will probably always refer to a firearm as a "firearm" or "weapon" it's my Army training. No such thing as a gun.

As far as pet pevs go I have to big ones.
1. As someone said earlier flagging people around, intentionally or not. Do not point a weapon at something you do not intend to shoot.
2. As I stated in a different thread. Racking the weapon 15 times in rapid sucession, then never visually and physically inspecting the chamber, slide and mag well. One day they will assume the round extracted or there wasn't one in there and kill someone.

·
Registered
232 Posts
i hate the term "assult rifles" for civilian guns. as most of your know assult rifles have the ability of select fire. and its always used by the anti gun ppl to scare the sheeple. i also hate mags being called clips, just drives me nuts for some reason.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
"I have gun X and therefor I am incapable of liking anything else, everything else sucks, and that is final."

Such as "I have a Glock. I paid $500. Anyone that spent less and got Ruger got a piece of crap, and people that spent more on an HK got ripped off, it's the same thing."

One of another BIG ones for me is "I WOULDN'T TRUST MY LIFE TO IT!" Where this person is dead set in the notion that every gun is built for self defense. EVERY ONE. Researching my NAA mini revolver, countless times I read a variation of "Perhaps with a few well placed shots you might kill someone, but I wouldn't trust my life to it!" Who the fork said anything about trusting your life to it!? What about shooting it for, you know, fun? :(

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
after reading the title I thought for sure you were going to say when people refer to magazines as clips.

For me its people who talk like they know about a gun or guns and they are so blatantly wrong or misinformed and still try to tell you thats how it is.
Honestly the mag/clip thing doesn't bother me so much. Prolly has something to do with listening to so much rap in my more youthful years and hearing "clip" so much.

SomeSoldier: For that I will grant a pass lol. I know in the armed forces, guns are always being referred to as weapons, which goes back to my original post about the gun being used in warfare.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
When gun owners tweak out b/c someone used an incorrect term. Correct them, move on. No need to tweak. They didn't stab your mom. They used a word wrong.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Mine is a combination of all the peevs written here, I hate arrogance-arrogant people with the inability to have an open mind piss me off to no extent. "oh, I'm sorry you know everything under the sun, please forgive me as I crawl back under my rock..."

·
Registered
986 Posts
tactical lite on a battle rifle. 13 pounds of aftermarket crap on a AR15 carbine. rifle that can shoot an 8 inch 1000 yard group in front of a shooter who can't hit a bowling pin at 300 yards. 24x scope on a shotgun. $99 scope on a $2000 rifle. the smallest dude has to carry the largest handgun. people who think your 1st handgun should be a 45.
:rant

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
i hate it when i hear "its just a .22"
i bet more accidents happen with .22 than most other calibers (if you include 223 and 5.56 in with 22 im damn near sure its killed more people in the last 30 years than any other)

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Several things:
- Folks thinking a 270 winchester is needed to kill a white tail at 100-200 yards
- Same folks think the 308winchester is a puzzy round
- Same folks think a 22LR is a toy round and would never consider on a defensive situation and say would prefer a slingshot.
- AK vs AR arguments
- 40cal vs 9mm arguments
- The Glocks are ugly and do not fit well argument
- Run & Gun in the dessert dressed like Halloween and talk about SHTF but no clue what that really means.
- All the Zombie fashions
- All the 'experts' from the youtube university so popular these days
- The... I have a friend who shoots 1/4th of an Inch at 200 yards all day long
- The sense of entitlement at the ranges leaving all the disarray behind like there is a cleaning lady that comes and cleans after you.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i hate it when i hear "its just a .22"
i bet more accidents happen with .22 than most other calibers (if you include 223 and 5.56 in with 22 im damn near sure its killed more people in the last 30 years than any other)
I hate that as well. "it's only a .22.. It's only a .380... It's only a 20 gauge."
It may be a small caliber, but quit your bitching unless you're willing to get shot by it.

·
Registered
88 Posts

For me:

So... what's a better name for "weapon of mass destruction" if it has not been used to cause mass destruction... yet...?

Guns are "weapons" - it was what they were designed for, what they were created for. The fact that you don't use it to kill people does not change what it is. Doesn't bother me.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
My biggest pet peeve with firearms is when you are talking to someone about one of the "scary" rifles (AK47, AR15, SCAR, SIG556, those ones) and you mention you have a 30 round magazine or show them a picture of it and they go "30 round magazines are illegal don't you know the law with that thing?"

Every time it happens - I know people for years have been ground into thinking that in NYS and that these guys really don't know any better (like guys who have only ever touched 5 round bolt action rifles because that was their only interest) - it still for some reason annoys me, big time. I'm not sure if it is because the law is annoying enough without assuming all mags over 10 rounds is illegal or if it is because sometimes they seem to talk down to me like I'm a retard with an AK strapped to my back, it just bugs me.

Usually I just explain to them the law and about preban status, most of the time I get an "Oh for real? Awesome! Maybe I'll get one if you help me find the mags!"

Sometimes I get the "I don't think you know what you're talking about, I wouldn't be caught with you if you brought that along shooting." <--- that one makes me want to punch them.

And sometimes I get "O well I know a guy who knew a guy who got arrested for having 15 round magazines for HIS AK, how do you explain that?"

And I usually say that 15 is a weird number, they were probably plastic, to which they reply "Yea I think so." And that is when I inform them that alot of the plastic AK47 mags, especially the 15 or 20 rounders are Tapco or similar companies, and most likely post-ban - to which I either get an "Oh ok." or a roll of the eyes like I'm an idiot (again makes me want to punch them)

That is my pet peeve, but I think alot of it is how they handle the information you give them afterwards, if you don't know then fine, but DO NOT tell me which of my firearms is illegal when you do not know anything about them and don't tell me that my rifle is a felony, I do not go and put close to a grand into making a felony just to strut it around gun ranges until I get arrested.

·
Head Fapper
1,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So... what's a better name for "weapon of mass destruction" if it has not been used to cause mass destruction... yet...?

Guns are "weapons" - it was what they were designed for, what they were created for. The fact that you don't use it to kill people does not change what it is. Doesn't bother me.
WMD not being used as one... I'd simply call that a tool of persuasion lol.

Well, it's just my opinion and I wasn't expecting everyone, or anyone for that matter, to agree with me.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts